Underlay for tracks

All posts regarding baseboard construction
fgstf

Underlay for tracks

Post by fgstf »

3mm thick floor underlay by 20 meters (60 ft roughly) long and its moisture proof off local builders provider €150.00 about £129.00, as opposed to €450.00..£387.00 for cork in roughly the same length and it does the same job
yelrow

Re: Underlay for tracks

Post by yelrow »

Why do you need underlay. most of us lay straight on top of ply. Seems an expensive add on. John
fgstf

Post by fgstf »

Gives the rolling stock and trains a smother run its like a cushion between the hard base board and the track

Youtube .....Cork Underlay How To Video
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Whatever, you are happy with, I suppose. I don’t think it will catch on. Most of us get very smooth running with traditional method. If one is starting from scratch’ it’s another option, however.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

In my view the best way is straight onto the board.

I used underlay in some form or the other for years but each time ended up removing it. Makes absolutely no difference to smooth running, particularly if you ballast the track. ;)
Nurse, the screens!
fgstf

Post by fgstf »

I would argue with respect .....that the rolling stock and trains have a more cushioned run, the underlay will absorb any lumps and bumps that the baseboard WILL have :)
fgstf

Post by fgstf »

Ballast in my opinion is just decorative, and has no effect on the running of the layout........Again when the stock is running with a cushion underneath its smoother
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Of course ballast is decorative as are fences, figures, trees and anything else you add that serves no useful purpose. Any way each to his/her own. Just make sure the board surface is absolutely flat otherwise the underlay will just follow the lumps and bumps. :)
Last edited by Walkingthedog on Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nurse, the screens!
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Don't want to be rude but why waste money which can be put towards buying stock etc.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

I originally, put that, then thought perhaps, i should change it. There are no lumps or bumps in a correctly laid baseboard. Waste of money in my view also.