3D Printer!

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Lindyloo

3D Printer!

Post by Lindyloo »

I am so happy, my OH has just purchased and assembled a 3D printer. He'll be getting a long list from me shortly. Mmm! Ladders, fences, window frames, buckets, shovels....the list is endless! :lol: :lol:
IanS

Re: 3D Printer!

Post by IanS »

I keep thinking of getting one, then decide I've enough computer gear and more than enough to do on the trains to keep me busy.

If he does get it going and produces acceptable (or better than just acceptable items) consider selling them on here in the 'For sale section' - it take a lot of effort to produce the STL files so don't be too hard on him if he takes a long time to produce what you're after.
Lindyloo

Post by Lindyloo »

Yeah, I've been having a look today and it all does look very complicated. We may start with a ladder and see how it goes 😊
IanS

Post by IanS »

There are a few rail related files available free on the internet - not always easy to spot nor in the right scale as a lot are HO rather than 00.

It should be easier to adjust the size than draw something from scratch.
Lindyloo

Post by Lindyloo »

Ooh! I'll have a Google, thanks Ian 😊
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

There is a 3-D printer section on RM-Web forums. Lots of good info.
Lindyloo

Post by Lindyloo »

So here is the long awaited ladder, the window cleaner loves it!!😊 we are now moving on to fences, gates etc.
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

I have noticed that lately there are one or two sellers on e-bay starting to sell simple and impossible to get parts which are produced on a 3 D printer.
So these things are starting to creep in. I have just ordered some parts for a Hornby breakdown crane from a printer......John
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

I have been following with interest posts about 3 D printing and have just bought a set of out riggers and chimney for a Hornby Breakdown crane which were produced by a 3D printer. I dont like them at all. The 3D printed copies, I would describe as rough to say the least. The finish is poor and certainly is not a exact copy of the original Hornby mouldings. I would have been better off making my own from plastic sheets and mouldings from the model shop.
The finish of the chimney was so bad I had to finish it off with a file. I'm not impressed with 3D printers.
These 3D printers will have to do better than that or I would not bother with them again. Next time I want something like this I will make my own as us modellers have always done. With our hands.
Last edited by footplate1947 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I think the outriggers are a bit over scale and lacking detail. Would be better to scratch build some, as you suggested John, that look more realistic.
Nurse, the screens!