insulating joiners

lead2327

insulating joiners

Post by lead2327 »

I'm frustrated by trying to fit these nylon joiners I'm using dcc with electrofrog points and a novice. could I fit metal joiners instead and make a cut in the point before the frog thus having the same effect as nylon joiners.any help would be appreciated HST Keith :D
RogerB

Re: insulating joiners

Post by RogerB »

They can be a fiddle. I found the best way was to face the IRJ up to the rail end at an angle and use the rail to open the gap slightly. They can be brittle though so do it gently. I understand what you want to do but it seems a lot of work that could be solved with the above method. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Hornby ones are brittle if I remember correctly but not Peco.

Slide them on and off a spare piece of rail to open them up.

Try keeping them warm if you need them to be more flexible.
Nurse, the screens!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Cutting the rails will have the same effect. But then the rails are likely to close up in warmer weather due to expansion or even due to rail creep caused by locos always travelling in the same direction.IMO it far better to preserver with the Nylon IRJs as these not only isolate rail to rail but have a small rail end stop too that prevents rail closure occurring across the gap. Also cutting the rails can lead to the rail that is cut not being secure in the chairs!
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

I always file a slight taper with a needle file on the cut ends before fitting any joiners, to remove any burrs and help the joiners to slide on.
dtb

Post by dtb »

I have a round 35 peco streamline electrofrog points on my layout and have found sometimes they can a tight fit and on some not fitting at all unless I make a small cut in the sleeper that holds the rails