Bus wire for point motors

dtb

Bus wire for point motors

Post by dtb »

Hi

As the title states can it be done using a bus wire to feed points around the layout?

I will be adding some more point motors soon and it occurred to me should it be necessary to run individual wiring for each set of motors back to the switch panel. For now they will be powered by 16v AC I have the resources or should I just buy an accessory decoder and wire them up to DCC maybe.
I had already installed 2 as a test run and to check I was familiar with the wiring etc but the wires run separately to each motor.

The points are nothing fancy just the Peco side mounted motor that I acquired at little cost which will do for now and I may as well get the wiring installed. Also if a bus wire can be used what size should it be.

Thanks
Forfarian

Re: Bus wire for point motors

Post by Forfarian »

If you run a bus wire connecting all the point motors together, they will all operate at the same time.
Every motor must have two wires back to a switching point and a return wire which can be of the bus type.
Or am i missing something here?
Forfarian aka Tim
Of course I talk to myself, I sometimes need expert advice!
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

The common return can be a bus.
Nurse, the screens!
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Wire them up to the DCC bus if you have one set to go into a siding and its a long way (in my case) 40' just use a accessory number on the handset to alter the points, you can also have a LED situated close to the point to act as a indicator as to which way the points are set, so there's less chance of a cock up, more than one set of point set up a local control panel running long length of wire maybe 5 different colors 30's or more can bring its own problems...
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Tinker wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:38 am running long length of wire maybe 5 different colors 30's or more can bring its own problems...
Telephone exchanges and aircraft manage OK. :lol:
Nurse, the screens!
dtb

Post by dtb »

Ok, just checked out accessory decoders, I had better stop buying loco's and start saving!

I assume an accessory decoder with 4 outputs will power 4 sets of points, so with 35+ points this could get expensive. So for now I will run a common bus as WTD says and go from there.

Thanks for the info chaps.
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

You can use normal passing contact or toggle switches to operate point motors. I would only use DCC accessory decoders if the layout was going to be computer operated. Operating points via the DCC controller is nowhere near as quick and convenient as just operating a toggle switch or passing contact switch.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I use Cobalt Digital iP point motors which have the decoder built in. Each motor is powered from the track bus. They are also wired for toggle switch operation, which has already been said, is much quicker than using the control unit and trying to remember each point motor number.
dtb

Post by dtb »

Looks like it's best to stay with the toggle switch operation at the moment, right better dig the loco wishlist from the bin. :D

Cheers for the advice chaps.
Brian

Post by Brian »

dtb wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:17 am Hi

As the title states can it be done using a bus wire to feed points around the layout?

I will be adding some more point motors soon and it occurred to me should it be necessary to run individual wiring for each set of motors back to the switch panel. For now they will be powered by 16v AC I have the resources or should I just buy an accessory decoder and wire them up to DCC maybe.
I had already installed 2 as a test run and to check I was familiar with the wiring etc but the wires run separately to each motor.

The points are nothing fancy just the Peco side mounted motor that I acquired at little cost which will do for now and I may as well get the wiring installed. Also if a bus wire can be used what size should it be.

Thanks
Hi
You can not use a Bus for conventional solenoid point motors. Each solenoid point motor needs a Normal and Reverse operation wire and a return wire. They can all share the return wire. The operation wires (Normal and Reverse) are fed from a SPDT momentary switch or passing contact lever. The return wire for all motors needs to be of suitable wire size where two or more solenoid motors are moved at once. I recommend using as a minimum 24/0.2mm or better 32/0.2mm wire where two or more motors all move at once. For solenoid point motor feed where a single operation return is only needed, then use a minimum of 16/0.2mm, 16/0.2mm wire is the minimum I recommend for all operation N & R feeds too.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website