Your latest acquisition

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
AviatorAtHeart

Re: Your latest acquisition

Post by AviatorAtHeart »

Though I have a few points of contention as yet undisclosed here we have the crane!

I am excited by the model itself. Fresh from the printer, overall quite breathtaking for presence!

I mean a full size one of these would be an awesome machine!

It’s a quick iPhone panorama. But you get the idea!

Sitting nicely behind my as yet un run? 28xx which today is its first time out of the inner case!

Immense, amazing and wow were the first things I thought upon opening the box.
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

Very nice model. Love it............John
If only there was enough hours in the day..................John
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Amazing looking model.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

"I mean a full size one of these would be an awesome machine!"

You need to pop over to Didcot to see their crane.

Nurse, the screens!
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

When recovering a heavy loco they needed two cranes. One front and one at the back to lift it. So start saving up. :)
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Hi,

Visited the Kyle Model Rail exhibition in Troon yesterday and treated myself to a nice DCC fitted Maroon Bachmann Warship...…..Although primarily interested in 70/80's BR Blue, I am growing increasing fond of earlier Diesel types and have been drawn to the Diesel Hydraulics and so a Western, Hymek or Warship has been on my shopping list for a while.

The model is used but like new with all the fittings etc still bagged...…...Last night however when I ran it on my layout it responded beautifully on the straight, but consistently derailed on my 2nd radius curved points...…...I was certain the bogie had inadequate movement and initially suspected the bogie frame, which has detailed brake shoes etc was catching on the chassis......however I decided to sleep on it.

A long walk on the beach with the Hounds first thing this morning set my mind clear on my course of action, but once I found that the bogie frames quickly detached a further test run confirmed the derailing problem was still present...….looking more closely I could see that the bogie was not swinging enough to foul on the chassis and in fact there was probably scope for it to swing more, but it was restricted by a clip on the top mount...…..I bravely decided to take the whole thing apart.

Alas, the crux of the problem was found to be the rather square tab on the bogie side and I figured if I could file away each of the corners, it should allow the bogie to swing further...….see picture for a before and after shot on the tab.........I also filed a chamfer on the 4 corners of the bogie body just to give a little extra clearance to the chassis.

Managed to put it all together without breaking anything or having any screws go missing or extras left-over...….back on to the track and she sailed around the layout and thru all points without missing a beat...…...finally coming to rest in my proposed Heritage Rail Centre where "D809 Champion" finds itself joining the only other pre-Blue resident, a Baby Deltic.

Was very pleased with my purchase, but even more chuffed that I managed to troubleshoot and resolve a niggling running in issue - thanks Richard
footplate1947

Post by footplate1947 »

Just purchased this as I did not have an A3 in BR blue I think it was painted blue in 1947 for 2 years unless somebody else knows better info.
Postman Prat

Post by Postman Prat »

Hi Footplate

Can advise St Frusquin (don't ask who he was, ask the horse owner instead !!) was repainted from LNER Green to BR Experimental Purple in May 1948 (as per the model) This livery was followed by BR Blue 12/50 and BR Green 6/52

:ugeek:
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Postman Prat wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:59 pm Hi Footplate

-------------- St Frusquin (don't ask who he was, ask the horse owner instead !!)

:ugeek:
The colt was not named after a Christian saint but after an informal French expression for the entirety of a person's possessions.

???

St. Frusquin (1893–1914) was a British Thoroughbred racehorse and sire. In a racing career that lasted from May 1895 to July 1896, he ran eleven times and won nine races. He was the best British two-year-old of 1895 when his five wins included the Middle Park Plate and the Dewhurst Plate. As a three-year-old, he added wins in the 2000 Guineas and two of the season's most valuable all-aged races: the Princess of Wales's Stakes and the Eclipse Stakes.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Postman Prat

Post by Postman Prat »

Hi Glencairn

Knowing that much about a horse sounds to be the result of a mis-spent youth. That can be applied to a lot of people around here!!! Not me, of course. :lol:
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you