Steam Trains to Sovereign Street.

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Walkingthedog

Re: Steam Trains to Sovereign Street.

Post by Walkingthedog »

I think it looks great but shouldn’t the barrel be tapered?
Nurse, the screens!
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

teedoubleudee wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:16 pm I've no idea if this is prototypical or not but all power to your elbow. Makes an interesting addition to your layout.
Thanks for your comments teedoubleudee.
Every picture I have seen of a railgun is different. I wasn't aware so many had been built. Therefore if my railgun looks like a type of real one it's a pure fluke.

Maybe to the purist there should be more wheels on the wagon. There should be this or that on it etc.
I am happy with it and fits in on the layout without being overbearing. Most of all it runs well on the layout.
Walkingthedog wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:57 am I think it looks great but shouldn’t the barrel be tapered?
Thanks WTD. A lot of the guns did have a tapered barrel and maybe this one could have been. When I saw photographs of guns with barrels not tapered; that's the barrel for me. :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

jaz avalley wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:00 am Nice layout, I especially like the private wagons, relating to family.
Thanks for your comments jaz.

When the grandchildren visit (even the granddaughters') they love to see 'their wagons' running. They are getting more involved; so much so, sometimes I can 'sit back and watch the trains run'. :D
Mindst' you, any resemblance of a timetable is non-existent. :lol:

Glencairn
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Most big guns are tapered. Easy to do.
Nurse, the screens!
mijj

Post by mijj »

Walkingthedog wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:42 am Most big guns are tapered. Easy to do.
I did not know that! I thought it important to have a gun barrel as straight and un-tapered as possible to be accurate. Along with the fact that a barrel was 'rifled' to give a twist to the shot to enable it to fly straight. Please point out the error in my thinking.
It maybe obvious but I was never in the forces :lol: .I only saw pictures of blunderbusses.
Jim.
Watch and pray, time hastes away.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

The outside is tapered not the inside. Shell would have a job coming out the end.

Kept the barrel light. The barrel had to be thick where the cordite ignited or it would have exploded.

Whats being in the forces got to do with it. I was in the Cubs, we weren’t allowed guns.

Nurse, the screens!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Some very large guns had to have external bracing as well. For example the experimental harp guns that the USA and the UK tried. Those guns are such a size that without an external frame they would not survive for long.

I love your model gun. Is a great thing to do to an old wagon. Gets the imagination going.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
mijj

Post by mijj »

Walkingthedog wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:44 pm The outside is tapered not the inside. Shell would have a job coming out the end.

Kept the barrel light. The barrel had to be thick where the cordite ignited or it would have exploded.

Whats being in the forces got to do with it. I was in the Cubs, we weren’t allowed guns.
Thanks very much, that explains it. I should have thought of that :) . I was in the sea scouts-but only for a very short time so I leaned nothing about guns :lol: . I think the boy scouts had knives though.
Jim.
Watch and pray, time hastes away.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Mountain Goat wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:27 pm
I love your model gun. Is a great thing to do to an old wagon. Gets the imagination going.
Thanks M G

I am thinking of building another railgun. Just trying to find the right parts I need. :)

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

For some time I have been on the lookout for a tall, square chimney for Sovereign Street.
When we called in at the Aln Valley Railway a week ago I looked in the shop. They had 'bits and bobs' of model railway items. A tall, square chimney was at the back. Parting with £1.00 the chimney has now made its way to Brown & White's, Sovereign Street.
IMG_2480.JPG
Glencairn