Points.

Doodge

Points.

Post by Doodge »

My first noob question. I have just put down some Peco 00 gauge track. I have two ovals controlled by DC. The inner oval has one set of points which leads to a goods yard. The problem I have is that when I throw the points to the goods yard it just cuts power to the track completely! Is there something I’m not doing, how can I resolve this?
Brian

Re: Points.

Post by Brian »

Hi
If you have two loops each loops rails should have their own feed. Ideally these feeds are from separate DC controllers, with one controller feeding loop 1 and the other loop 2.

Points on DC layouts are self isolating in that they cut off the power to the unset direction.

If your layout is a continuous loop then the rail power feed should flow both ways around the loop. Therefore the loop is always live when power is applied, but the siding will be dead when the point is set for the loop. The siding only becomes live when the point is set towards the siding. Check for defective rail joiners (Fishplates) somewhere around the loop.
If the layout were an end to end then the feed should be located at the single line end of the point and the point switches rail power to the direction set.

A simple sketch or drawing of your track plan and the points and the controller feed locations would be helpful.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Doodge

Post by Doodge »

Hi Brian, thank you for your reply. I have a Morley Vector Two controller which powers two tracks which is connected to the tracks, one on each loop by Hornby power track.
I don’t seem to be able to attach a photo for some reason
IanS

Post by IanS »

This may help - if it is similar to your layout.

https://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electrical_Page_1.html

Scroll down a little to see 2 loops with siding. (I know @Brian wrote it :) )
Brian

Post by Brian »

Doodge wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:00 pm <Snip>
I don’t seem to be able to attach a photo for some reason
Please check out this guide. IMO Option B is the best method. viewtopic.php?f=37&t=293
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website