RSR new layout.

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
RSR Engineer

Re: RSR new layout.

Post by RSR Engineer »

Thank you for your feedback, gentlemen.

The underlay is in place for the southern loop tracks and the track lines marked out where need be. Points and some track have been set in place temporarily to check the alignment and fit. As can be seen in pix 392 & 395, I have made a number of curved pieces of track of 3ft radius and subtending an angle of 12°, as reverse curves to the points. This is much simpler than trying to curve the end of a parallel straight siding by just the right amount.

The work is documented on flickr (pix 392-5): https://www.flickr.com/photos/53775591@ ... 3524354145

Cheers,
Artur

I've seen references in various places to rail-cutting shears. Are they any good? I'm having the devil's own job using a saw.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi Artur - you need a pair of these - Xuron 2175B Track Cutters.
Last edited by bulleidboy on Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

BB is correct, Xuron track cutters are superb.
Nurse, the screens!
RSR Engineer

Post by RSR Engineer »

Thanks for the tip, gents. The order's already placed.

Cheers,
Artur
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Glad you are getting Xuron track cutters. Life will be much easier.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
RSR Engineer

RSR new layout + Xuron

Post by RSR Engineer »

You were all absolutely right, gentlemen. The Xuron cutters are a Godsend. They have enabled me to really get the work moving, such that doubts I had about test running by Christmas are fading.

Parts of the southern loops are installed. Pix on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/53775591@ ... 3524354145 (396-403).

Cheers,
Artur
RSR Engineer

Post by RSR Engineer »

Finished installing the southern loop tracks. The wiring up still has to be done. Because the boards on this level have to be dismantlable, I've had to gap the rails at the board edges and I'll need to bridge these gaps electrically but I can't make a start on that until I've sorted out what multipin connectors (or whatever) I need. I've ordered a couple that look promising so that I can do a few experiments.

The work is documented on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/53775591@ ... 3524354145

The Xuron cutters, as I said before, are an absolute Godsend. However, I cannot agree with the assertion (can't remember now where I read it) that there is no need to clean up the ends of the rails after cutting. On one side of the cut, the rail end is reasonably clean but I would still advise always to run a thumbnail along the base of the web to be sure there are no burrs. If there are, these will force the rail joiner open and stop it from gripping the rail foot properly. On the other side of the cut, the rail looks as if Godzilla's been picking his teeth with it. It takes a lot of file work to allow the rail joiner to slide on properly. To sum up, always inspect and clean up both cut ends.

Cheers,
Artur
Halsted

Post by Halsted »

You build a wonderful big layout.
RSR Engineer wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:28 pmThe Xuron cutters, as I said before, are an absolute Godsend. However, I cannot agree with the assertion (can't remember now where I read it) that there is no need to clean up the ends of the rails after cutting. On one side of the cut, the rail end is reasonably clean but I would still advise always to run a thumbnail along the base of the web to be sure there are no burrs. If there are, these will force the rail joiner open and stop it from gripping the rail foot properly. On the other side of the cut, the rail looks as if Godzilla's been picking his teeth with it. It takes a lot of file work to allow the rail joiner to slide on properly. To sum up, always inspect and clean up both cut ends.
I totally agree with that !
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi Artur - sorry to sate the obvious, but are you cutting the track "top to bottom"? There is a right and wrong way to use these cutters. I almost always got a nice clean cut. BB
RSR Engineer

Post by RSR Engineer »

Oh, yes, BB, I cut the rail from top to bottom. I also make a point of keeping the "back" of the cutters (the flat side) to the side where where I want a clean rail end. The other half, as I said, looks like one of Godzilla's used toothpicks. For all that, I can only repeat that the Xuron is a truly indispensable trackwork tool. The additional bit of cleaning up work is well worth it.

Thank you for your compliments, Halsted. All these sidings and loops will, unfortunately, be lost to view (except via webcam) when the top level goes on. A recent visitor was most disappointed when I pointed that out.

Cheers,
Artur