Engine & Goods Sheds

Help with layout scenics
RogerB

Re: Engine & Goods Sheds

Post by RogerB »

Steve M wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:14 am Before it drys joint staff in the ‘concrete’ can be marked in with a straight edge.
What does this mean Steve? Where different "pourings" of concrete meet perhaps?

Steve M wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:14 amFinally a coat of suitable paint to seal it all in when dry.
I was rather hoping to go for a wood finish but my efforts at that are poor - very uneven finish. Apart from that in order to avoid using several hundred sheets I laid them with the planks lengthways whereas in reality for strength and robustness I am sure the plank will have gone across the direction of road travel. Looks unrealistic. [Yes, I know all the rest of it does too - but I am trying]. :D

So, I think I will try this DAS clay and try again with a wood finish. I don't think the Peco wood sheets [you can see in the picture] have enough definition to "impress' the clay with a wood appearance but I'll have a go.

EDIT: Another thought occured whilst walking the mutley - if I could get the DAS layer thin enough I could try placing the plastic sheets on top.

R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Roger, it means absolutely nothing, utter gibberish. :oops: But you correctly interpreted what I was trying to say (until spellchecker got to it).

“Before it has dried, joints in the ‘concrete’ can be marked with a straight edge.”

Concrete is usually laid in blocks to prevent cracking when it expands in the heat so expansion joints need to be included in the model.

If you do try to use the plasticard as a die for the clay, remember that the image will be reversed and may not give the result you are looking for.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Tri

Post by Tri »

Thanks all for pics, advice and background info.
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

So far nothing has been said about goods sheds.

In my experience the rail track was ballasted inside many traditional goods sheds. These buildings were generally modest sized structures . The track was flanked by a platform and on the other side road vehicles could come alongside all of which was protected by the roof. On the platform would also normally be a small crane to assist the transfer of goods from railway wagons to carts.

Larger goods sheds might have multiple tracks and platforms. A few would also have roads alongside the track where bulky items could be transferred between flat wagons and carts.

This is the now abandoned goods shed at Teynham in Kent, the rail track passed through the large door, and there was an opening on the far side where the carts would stand , many sheds also had a canopy over the cart entrance, between the track and the cart entrance was the platform. The track went right through so there was a similar door at the opposite end.

My Great Great Grandfather was run over and killed by a wagon being moved by a horse inside the Goods Shed in Grays Essex in 1856.
LC&DR says South for Sunshine
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

This is the cart side of the larger goods shed at Faversham (both this and the Teynham picture were taken in the 1970s) .
LC&DR says South for Sunshine