LOW GHYLL

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Steve M

Re: LOW GHYLL

Post by Steve M »

Just for comparison (not sure how well this will work).
First clip is the Hornby J36 fitted with the new J36 decoder and a YouChoos 15x11x5mm sugarcube speaker.

https://youtu.be/s76t7SdRdbs

The second clip is my Bachmann GNR Atlantic, same decoder but with a YouChoos 15x11x7mm sugarcube speaker.

https://youtu.be/cGjrvHWF7eo

To my ear the Atlantic sounds a bit ‘deeper’ - no idea if the sound is ‘right’ but it does the job for me. :D

I might just try to squeeze the same decoder into one of my tank locos now - could be interesting. :?

Trying to update links - watch this space.
Last edited by Steve M on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Those links are taking me to a "Start a YT Premium Plan" page. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

RogerB wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:09 pm Those links are taking me to a "Start a YT Premium Plan" page. R-
I’ve had another go.
They seem to work ok for me.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Steve M wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:54 pm Just for comparison (not sure how well this will work).
First clip is the Hornby J36 fitted with the new J36 decoder and a YouChoos 15x11x5mm sugarcube speaker.

Image20190909_163154 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr

The second clip is my Bachmann GNR Atlantic, same decoder but with a YouChoos 15x11x7mm sugarcube speaker.

Image20190909_163321 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr

To my ear the Atlantic sounds a bit ‘deeper’ - no idea if the sound is ‘right’ but it does the job for me. :D

I might just try to squeeze the same decoder into one of my tank locos now - could be interesting. :?

Trying to update links - watch this space.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Steve M wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:31 pm
RogerB wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:09 pm Those links are taking me to a "Start a YT Premium Plan" page. R-
I’ve had another go - via Flickr.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Yup - those are both fine. I agree there does seem to be more bass resonance on the 2nd one. They both sound very good. R-
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Thanks Roger.
Since doing those two I have squeezed a J36 decoder into the bunker space of an Oxford Rail N7. There is a convenient space between the centre driving wheels and under the motor to fit a 5mm sugarcube so I only had to extend the speaker wires and find a route for them under the cab floor. :D
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Painted some more figures from Hardy’s Hobbies today - needed for the locos I bought while we were on holiday up North.

Image20191007_185023 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

They look great Steve. I think they are better posed figures than the ModelU ones - I will be getting some more in due course.

It looks like you have been able to achieve some "wear" to the clothing. Is that right or is my computer misbehaving? If so, do you mind telling me/us how you achieved it?

R-
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

More than happy to oblige Roger.

I start by hot glueing each figure to a cut off bamboo barbecue skewer - chunky enough to hold a blob of glue and easy to hold and stick in a block of foam.

Once the figure is painted with its base colours over a white primer, I mix a slightly off-white shade of grey/blue (just the slightest hint of the grey or blue). Using a wide brush, with virtually all of the paint wiped off on a tissue, I very lightly dry-brush the whole figure. I can’t stress enough that the paint on the brush must be almost non-existent and brushed very, very lightly.

If it goes on a bit too heavy, then wipe the area of the figure with a dry finger - at this stage it will take most of the highlight off.

Finally, when dry give each figure a wash of very dilute black.

I know I have said it before, but I now use Vallejo paints for all my figure work and much of the weathering. The black wash is a thing called ‘dark tone’ from the Army Painter range. A few Railmatch colours have started to creep into stock recently as well.

Hope that helps. :D