3rd rail retrospectively installed.

Help with designing your track work
RSR Engineer

3rd rail retrospectively installed.

Post by RSR Engineer »

Now that the southern loops on the new RSR layout are all but complete, it's time to start work on the contrun2 section (the orange part of the diagram). This is the first part of the layout that is to have some tracks laid with three rails, to enable Hornby Dublo, Märklin and JEP trains to be run.

What I am looking for is a reliable way to secure a centre third rail to Peco Streamline flexible track (and points and crossings). Early experiments have shown that the rail should be attached directly to the sleepers rather than mounted independently on the baseboard. Do members know of any kind of chair or other fixing that is suitable for this purpose? eBay hasn't really shown anything that's of use, nor has Google, so I'm hoping members can point me in the right direction. Wasn't there once something called Peco Minilay?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Cheers,
Artur
Gordon H

Re: 3rd rail retrospectively installed.

Post by Gordon H »

There is the Peco Stud Contact Strip SL-17 & SL-18, or the Individulay 'proper' 3rd rail components (IL-120 chairs and IL-1X rail) normally used for outside 3rd but can be fitted down the centre instead.
Not sure if the height of that would suit your skates though.
RSR Engineer

Post by RSR Engineer »

Many thanks for your feedback, Gordon. I've already considered these items. The stud contact strip is destined for the visible tracks but I was hoping to do a quick-and-dirty job on the hidden ones. The outside third stuff would, I fear, be too high and don't think I could use the surplus code 100 rails I've got lying about. But thank you for your suggestion.

Cheers,
Artur
RSR Engineer

Post by RSR Engineer »

The 3rd rail project has been abandoned, as I described in my post under RSR new layout, allowing the rest of the work to proceed.

Cheers,
Artur