Using Polysyrene sheets as backboards

Help with layout scenics
Hornby Hombre

Using Polysyrene sheets as backboards

Post by Hornby Hombre »

Hi guys and gals,

I'm new to the forum so hope this is in the right section. Apologizes if it isn't. I'm into recycling and after me and my partner have had new beds I've a load of polystyrene. I was wondering if some of the sheets could be used as backboards and how I could do it. I will have enough for modelling the terrain as well.

Thanks
Mountain Goat

Re: Using Polysyrene sheets as backboards

Post by Mountain Goat »

It is common to use them for forming scenery. I dont see why it can't be used for a backscene as long as one understands and takes into account the limitations of the material. Two points to mention. The first is that the material is well known to be flammable. Also some electrical wires outer coating has been known to chemically react to polystyrene and melt causing bare wires... Most wires made for the British and EU markets are not effected but they still make wires in the Far East where their regulations are different. Also some older UK wire can react in this way. It is a good plan to put some sort of buffering material in between polystyrene sheets and electrical wires just in case.
Other then those points for safety reasons and subject to the right glues the material is very good and is excellent to bolster up contours for scenery. As a backscene base it depends on the criteria of the layout. As a fixed layout I dont see an issue. As a portable layout it will need a framework of wood, metal or even plastic to prevent damage as portable layouts do go through some abuse.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Chris

Post by Chris »

Ive just it before, a set of tables came with a lot of 10mm thick sheets between all the surfaces of each table and I kept it as it seemed useful, I cut doubling pieces and glued them over the joints in the sheets which were just but jointed. the run was then cut to the right height and a paper backscene was applied. apart from the issues that some solvent based glues melt it, no real issues to report you cant see the texture of it through the backscene paper.

its much lighter and easier to fit than a wooden one would be and it was free.

incomplete sample attached and I shall try to tidy up enough tomorrow to take a more up to date one.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Nice Brian Sheriff backscenes. I like them but they take ages to cut out! :) Worth the effort though.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
Chris

Post by Chris »

I found they didn't sit well behind the low relief kits especially the tall buildings so have been a bit creative to cover the gaps but I really like the over all look even if I haven't applied it perfectly (1st time)
Chris

Post by Chris »

The two backscenes are a little more progressed in this, both have been modified slightly to fit in but look well, both are glued to jointed pieces of polystyrene sheet about 10mm thick apart from the fragility of handling it when fitting I dont think the finish suffers from the material used. the second backscene has slight unevenness in the finish but that was from a poor choice of glue