Picking up the baton again

Just joined, say 'Hello' in here
GKM

Picking up the baton again

Post by GKM »

Hi All,

I’m George, and I’m getting back to model railways after 5 decades. My father was a train enthusiast (real world) and a very good scratch modeller. Until the age of 15, when I discovered girls and folk music, I was a pretty fair scratch modeller myself, building mostly battlefields and so forth. I have been looking for some way to connect with Leo, my 5 year old grandson as, due to chronic rheumatoid arthritis, I can’t do the ‘normal’ granddad stuff like rough and tumble, chasing, and ball games. I was much impressed by ‘The Great Model Railway Challenge’, and as I can still design and build models, I thought that would be perfect for me and my Grandson to do together.

My priority, model rail wise, is to make a model layout with lots of things that he can help with, and can help run when it is built. I’ve settled on a kind of Steam-punk version of a World War 1 scene, based on the ‘alternate’ version of the war as portrayed in the film ‘The Great Martian War 1913-1917’. His father was a soldier, shot through the lung in Afghanistan (survived), so I thought this was very apposite -he won’t realise it, but he will be learning about the job of a soldier and the workings of railways as we go along.

As things have moved on a pace in the last 50 years, and as there is such a bewildering selection of, well, everything, I will probably be looking for a fair amount of help.

So, that is the story so far. Now, I just have to wait until Santa visits to start the ball rolling...
Brian

Re: Picking up the baton again

Post by Brian »

Welcome George

I'm sure you'll get much enthusiastic support and help here. Just ask. :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
IanS

Post by IanS »

Welcome - plenty of useful advice and acres of knowledge here.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Hello George, welcome to the forum. What a great idea, I do hope you both get loads of enjoyment from the enterprise. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
mijj

Post by mijj »

Hello and welcome George. You will have to remember in ten years time why your grandson does not seem so interested in model railways anymore - unless his girlfriends are :D .
Jim
Watch and pray, time hastes away.
ozzieguy65

Post by ozzieguy65 »

Welcome, I also am newly back, not to trains but scratch building after 40+ years. Not that I have no knowledge of trains as growing us with 3 older brothers being involved in trains, N gauge mostly but from live steam to most other gauges for over 55 years. Quite interested in what you have thought of building as my grandfather was in WW1 and was an Australian pioneer who was part engineer part infantry who was responsible for creation of fake ply tanks, bunkers, trenchers but also which could be of interest of the railways crossing the battle fields. Happy to share details, just PM me if you wish or anyone else.

Best of luck

Ozzieguy65
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Welcome to the forum George. What a fabulous thing you are doing it will really help your Grandson and probably his dad also.
If it is steam-punk you're thinking of, might I recommend Calvertfilm on youtube. He does some rather way-out steam-punk layouts which are quite fun and might provide some ideas.
Good luck with it all.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Welcome on board, George. It is great getting grandchildren involved. Trouble is sometimes they ‘take over’. :lol:
I have one grandson who ‘is in charge of running trains. Another grandson loves working the fiddle yard. The younger granddaughter (3year old) is ‘real train’ daft.

Good luck with the layout. Keep us posted on the progress.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Welcome George - as you can see it's a friendly place. Lots of help, information and fun.
GKM

Post by GKM »

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I'll probably start by diving into the archives to see how many of my questions have been previously answered. I have a feeling that I will also find answers to questions I haven't even thought of yet.
Brian, I have marked your website to look at later. Looks good.
IanS - thanks for the welcome.
RogerB - I am going to wring out as much pleasure as I can. I'm sure Leo will have a lot of fun too.
mijj - I will probably be guiding his way through the complex matters of girls in 10 years time.
Ozzieguy65 - I will keep you and your grandfather's WW1 experience in mind for when I need info. Ta!
Mr Bones - I have marked Calvertfilm, and have already had a quick delve. Looks good. Thanks for the link.
glencairn - I will be disappointed if my grandson doesn't at least 'try' to take over...
bulleidboy - thanks for the welcome.
I don't think that I have missed anyone, but now I need coffee.