Controlling by laptop or tablet

mark1

Controlling by laptop or tablet

Post by mark1 »

I have a medium sized layout, with double track main line oval , sidings and branch line. I use Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance to control it. I often have two trains running and so I am attracted to control by laptop or tablet where info about both locos is visible .
Any advice on this, comparing handheld control with laptop/tablet control would be very helpful.
In particular if anybody has experience of using either the Gaugemaster Computer interface or the Prodigy wifi linked to a tablet and is willing to share their experience, then I should be very grateful.
Brian

Re: Controlling by laptop or tablet

Post by Brian »

Hi
The MRC/Gaugemaster software is very limited. I would recommend you download the free JMRI software and use that on the PC etc.
JMRI does take a little getting used to but once the basics are mastered its a very good system to use. The MRC/Gaugemaster PA2 will connect to the PC and JMRI software via the special connection cable sold by MRC or Gaugemaster.
https://www.jmri.org/download/

Sorry I cant offer any advice currently on the WiFi unit as I've not got one to evaluate.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
grriff

Post by grriff »

I use JRMI on a laptop linked over my home computer network to an Android phone running the Engine Driver app. Very easy to set up and use.
mark1

Post by mark1 »

Thank you Brian and grriff for your helpful replies.

Obviously you both consider JMRI to be superior to the Gaugemaster software. What can you do with JMRI that you cannot do with Gaugemaster? Is control by a computer/tablet /phone easier than by a handheld Walkaround or does it give you extra control possibilities?
Thanks again

Mark