Layout Electrical Help (please)

Dantgk1

Layout Electrical Help (please)

Post by Dantgk1 »

Hi All

I am building a layout for my son (and me) and I have found myself in an electrical conundrum.

It is a simple double loop with points joining the two loops together and I know to put IRJ's between the points to avoid a short circuit as each loop will have its own controller. I am also wary that if the controllers are in different directions when a loco rolls over the points, that can cause a short circuit too. Given my son is not quite 3 yet (but knows how points and controllers work very well) I would like to build some fail safe in so that when either set of points is changed, the track highlighted with the green rectangle area becomes powered by the outside loop instead of the inside. If I only have one point it would be a lot simpler, but I do want to have two points. As a key the red lines are where I am proposing to put the IRJs and blue and green squares for the controllers.
Is there away that I can switch the 'ownership' of that section of the flick of either point?

Thanks

Dan

Plain drawing if anyone wants to scribble on it
Stese

Re: Layout Electrical Help (please)

Post by Stese »

Hi,

This is relatively easy to accomplish. (i'm kinda surprised that no one has responded to date...)

I'd put insulated joiners at the green lines, and a independent trackfeed somewhere around where the red dots are.

You'll need to get yourself a double pole switch, in either on-on or on-off-on format. Don't use a sprung centre off switch. (something like this :- https://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?mai ... cts_id=878)

Connect the wires from the track to the two centre pins of the switch. The track feeds then go in pairs, one on the 'top' contacts, the other at the bottom. (Bear in mind that the direction is opposite to the 'throw' of the switch...)

This will allow you to switch that section between the two controllers. Make sure you check it with a meter before you run power two it... I can do a diagram if it will help.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Stese wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:05 am Hi,
This is relatively easy to accomplish. (i'm kinda surprised that no one has responded to date...)
<Snip>
The reason no reply is here is because the OP posted the identical question on another forum, where it received replies going into three pages worth. I at that time felt it hardly worthwhile answering it again here, when I had done so over there! :D
Topic needed locking at that time really.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Dantgk1

Post by Dantgk1 »

Yes I did post in another forum and that got a quicker response.

I have made some good progress and when wiring is complete I will share what I have done in the other forum.

Thanks

Dan
Stese

Post by Stese »

Ahh, I see.

It wasn't a dig at anyone specifically, I just know that this community is normally the most helpful etc! ;)

Glad you are on your way to resolving it.

Regards,

Steve.
Father, IT Guy, HO/OO Modeler.
Dantgk1

Post by Dantgk1 »

No worries

Like everyone else, thank you for taking the time to reply.
Ron S

Post by Ron S »

I have found the same by a "mate" , posted his problems on 2 forums at the same time so I won't worry about helping on the forum I mainly visit & let the other forum keep on helping him.
Ron

NCE DCC, 00 scale, very loosely based on GWR