Preservation Shed

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
tersono

Preservation Shed

Post by tersono »

Given the loss of our old threads, I thought I’d post a quick summary of ‘Preservation Shed’, our 00 gauge micro (I used to model in N, but find it a bit small these days).

I won’t go through all the building posts, but here’s the finished article. It’s built on a couple of cheap Ikea shelves and is only 5’ x 1’. Here’s a track plan:

There’s no fiddle yard. Locos are loaded onto the layout at the left hand end using a Peco loco lift. A hill in the foreground hides operations somewhat.

The track was left over from a couple of Hornby train sets that I bought cheap, so effectively cost me nothing. The layout is DCC, controlled by a Roco MultiMaus which I picked up for £55 from eBay. This is my first DCC layout, but won’t be the last.

Background was produced by me in Photoshop (I’m a graphic designer by trade - or was before I took early retirement for health reasons early this year). It was printed out on a large-format plotter/printer (A1 size) back when I was still working and had access to that kind of hardware. Next time I’ll have to get it printed somewhere, unfortunately.

The shed is a weathered Metcalf kit.

Here’s a couple of photos

Modelling had been on hold for a while as we were intending to move house (and gain a railway room in the process!). Unfortunately that has been postponed due to health problems, so the wife and I are planning a little narrow gauge roundy in HOf which we’ll probably start soon.
Gary
...there is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'. I like to run trains along that line ;)
RogerB

Re: Preservation Shed

Post by RogerB »

Well done Gary. You have clearly put a lot of thought and effort into that, and it shows, in spades. It looks brilliant. Can't wait to see what you get up to next. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

That rusty corrugated iron at the back looks particularly well done.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
kevin141

Post by kevin141 »

Do not know how i missed this but like the layout :D
From Lincolnshire the flat bit :D
tersono

Post by tersono »

thanks guys - it was fun to build. :)
Gary
...there is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'. I like to run trains along that line ;)
RSR Engineer

Post by RSR Engineer »

Very nice model, tersono. I particularly like the dirty black ballast you always get around engine sheds - and that "Thomas" smokebox board propped up there is a neat touch. Regarding the backscene, most printers have a "poster" option, which enables a big image to be spread over a number of A4 sheets.

Cheers,
Artur
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Wow, what a lovely little layout - and many of us crave more space yet you show what can be done in a limited space. Impressive!
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Nice one Gary - as has been said, you don't need a large space to have an enjoyable layout. BB
Chris

Post by Chris »

RSR Engineer wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:54 am Very nice model, tersono. I particularly like the dirty black ballast you always get around engine sheds - and that "Thomas" smokebox board propped up there is a neat touch. Regarding the backscene, most printers have a "poster" option, which enables a big image to be spread over a number of A4 sheets.

Cheers,
Artur
You can also use software to generate posters, 'posteriza' is a free download and while very basic allows you to load an image in and tell it how many pages height and width you want it across. The main advantage is that it creates each section as an image file so you can see how the scale etc is going to work before you print it, and make any tweaks as needed.
Pannier Tank

Post by Pannier Tank »

That is a wonderful little lay out Gary. Top marks to you, I am very impressed!!!!
Oh, Dr Beeching what have you done?
There once were lots of trains to catch, but soon there will be none!