DCC80 and NCE PowerCab issues

Anthony

DCC80 and NCE PowerCab issues

Post by Anthony »

I have x9 dcc80 frogs on my layout. Just after I installed my last two my steam loco would not run. After sometime it may slowly jerk along but that’s it. I then noticed two of the dcc80 units were extremely hot. I then disconnect them and the train is running fine again. Been in touch with the suppliers who say they seem to be faulty and will send them back. Ok so far. But I have also noticed when I first use loco on my layout it stops on a few of my points. I move the loco on a little and it runs as normal. When the loco goes back over the same points it carries on has it should. Could it be the dcc80 are slower to respond than my controller? I have the basic NCE power cab. Other suggestions say this is a power cab issue and works fine with other controllers.

DCC concepts sell an upgraded 18v power supply that is plug and play for £30 that will supposedly cure the issues. The bonus of higher track voltage is also that electrical pickup through the wheels should be improved.

Or do you think my layout as got to the point where I need more power? Perhaps upgrade with the 5amp booster although this is a big expense I want to avoid.

Any reply’s please keep it simple as I am not an expert when it comes to electronics.
Steve M

Re: DCC80 and NCE PowerCab issues

Post by Steve M »

Personally I have never had an issue with DCC80 autofrogs and don’t find them slow at all. Stalling on electrofrog points will invariably be a consequence of either dirty track, dirty wheels, dirty pickups or uneven trackwork.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Brian

Post by Brian »

The NCE PowerCab manual on page 14 clearly states the minimum and maximum DC input voltages after referencing their recommend power supply unit.... Use only the provided P114 power supply or a voltage regulated 10-15 VDC supply of 3 Amps or less.
Why a non NCE agent is suggesting using an 18 volt power source is beyond me? That is 3 volts DC over the maximum recommended input!

As stated by Steve M, thoroughly clean all the rail tops and then all the loco wheel rims and any areas on the rear of the wheels where wiper contacts may rub. Use a fibre pencil on the wheels .. example of a fibre pencil and for rail top track cleaning a special track rubber and/or 99.9% Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) applied on a lint free free cloth. If IPA isn't readily available (plenty on ebay or Amazon) example Link to IPA use Meths. Of course observe safety by no naked lights and in a well ventilated room. Replace top on any IPA bottle immediately as it evaporates very quickly!
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Thanks for your very helpful feedback. The loco I am using is quite old and is borrowed from my father in law. Will definitely look at the using the cleaning methods has suggested.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

The recommendation came from DCC concepts to use a 18v power supply.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I know ;) AFAIK they are not an NCE agent though!! Why do they recommend something that is far outside of the manufacturers specification?
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Regarding the overheating issue on two of the dcc80 units, do I assume therefore these are faulty and nothing else. I have been in touch with the supplier who has offered a refund.
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

The UK version of the powercab is supplied with a 12v power supply, this on many occasions has been found to be under powered, NCE recommend 12v--15v power supply only, i had problems years ago with mine and up-graded to a 15v supply and have never had a problem since, so ignore the 18v advice you have been given it will invalidate your warranty.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Where would one purchase a 15v supply, if you have any links that would be perfect.
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

British Powercabs have been supplied with a number of different power supplies over the years. Mine, bought a couple of years ago, is 13.8Volt at 1.8Amps.

Definitely do not use a supply higher than 15volts.