TTS Decoders in None DCC Loco's

2027Joe

TTS Decoders in None DCC Loco's

Post by 2027Joe »

Evening Folks

Hopefully this isn't a silly question !

I have a number of older loco's. (Duchess of Sutherland, Black 5, Battle of Britain classes, etc).

These are not DCC Ready as they are much older. (From the 80's onwards.).

My question is, would it be possible to fit a TTS decoder into these older loco's ?

Thank you for any advice.

Joe
Steve M

Re: TTS Decoders in None DCC Loco's

Post by Steve M »

Before considering converting older locos to DCC you need to check that they run faultlessly on DC first. Also get a multimeter and conduct a stall test on the motor to see how much current it draws - TTS have a limit (sorry, can’t remember what it is but someone on here will know). If your loco draws more current the decoder will be fried.
Then all you need to do is find space to fit it, and a speaker, and of course it will need to be hardwired unless you fit a decoder socket.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Do you mean to convert them to DCC or are you thinking of having sound on a DC loco. If the latter no it won’t work.
Nurse, the screens!
2027Joe

Post by 2027Joe »

WTD

Many thanks for the reply.

My intention is to convert them to DCC, not too worried about the sound issue.

I will obtain a multimeter to do the test you suggested. I will look this up on what the procedure is first.

Sounds positive though.

Thank You
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Is TTS the cheapest option?
Nurse, the screens!
2027Joe

Post by 2027Joe »

Steve M

Apologies.

It was you who suggested the Stall test.

Sorry to have not mentioned you in my reply.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

2027Joe wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:03 pm Steve M

Apologies.

It was you who suggested the Stall test.

Sorry to have not mentioned you in my reply.
No problem. I think that you will need to disconnect one of the wires to the motor then connect it to one lead on the meter, the other meter lead goes back to the motor terminal so the current runs through the meter and can be measured - something like that anyway.
Last edited by Steve M on Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Brian

Post by Brian »

If non sound decoder as to be used then look at the excellent Zimo or Lenz Standard ranges.
Hornby TTS sound decoders are budget type and have very limited motor current and older locos may well exceed this or get very close to its maximum limit and cause shutting down of the decoder issues, so proceed with caution if you plan to use TTS in older locos.

While my drawing, as linked to by Steve M, shows a analogue Amp meter it can of course be replaced by a digital meter set to read DC Amps on a range of at least 2.0 Amp or higher. Note: The testing is done using a DC controller and before the decoder is purchased. No need really to remove the wire on the motor at this stage just one wire from the DC controller to the rail the loco is sitting on and insert the meter in that wires place. Most meter will require the red test lead moved from the red V/Ohm socket to the Amp socket usually also red in colour. Once testing has finished ensure the meter is turned off and then immediately restore the test lead back to the original socket on the meter.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
hardhat_harry

Post by hardhat_harry »

I have converted old locos to DCC with sound and ran them through a Hornby E Link.

Once they are converted the older stuff is more sensitive to speed changes than newer stuff. A small change to the speed slider causes a large speed increase in the loco. Im sure there is probably some software config I could change I just haven't found it yet.