Shed Layout carbon neutral

Just joined, say 'Hello' in here
Carbon neutral

Shed Layout carbon neutral

Post by Carbon neutral »

Hi all,

Firstly thank you for allowing me to join.

My plan is to build a HO gauge model railway in my shed inspired by my love of the Alps snow and Austria.

I'm looking to build the base boards out of recycled materials and beyond that seeing If it's possible to run the layout most of the time by solor power.

A project that hopefully will seem interesting to you guys.
IanS

Re: Shed Layout carbon neutral

Post by IanS »

Welcome to a great friendly forum.

Take a look at Budget Model Railways videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSNST ... _i9dqCZLOw They use a lot of recycled cardboard and other materials in the construction of their layouts.

Solar power + batteries. No reason it can't work!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Hi CN welcome to the forum.

Sheds need additional insulation installed all around the sides and the roof and even under floor if possible.
Solar power shouldn't be an issue with the right charging set up, a set of batteries which can power everything on the layout and even include room lighting.
Using recycled material is a great idea, but do ensure anything used especially for the baseboard is flat in all directions and is well supported underneath.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Welcome to the forum CN. Interesting project, I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

Welcome to the friendly and helpful forum. I was doubtful over whether insulation between the outside and inside walls of my shed and in the roof space would make a great deal of difference, especially as the wall insulation was bubble wrap with a silvered outer layer. After I installed it, boarded out the inside and sealed every single gap at floor level and put insulation strip on the doors, the result was amazing. I plug in an old *Glen electric heater for 5 minutes and the shed is toasty. As I work the shed stays lovely and warm.
*Disclaimer - other makes of heater are available!
Carbon neutral

Post by Carbon neutral »

Thank you for the welcome and advise.

Intresting about insulation.....I'm thinking about going down the bubble insulation route.
Carbon neutral

Post by Carbon neutral »

Bandit Mick wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:07 pm Welcome to the friendly and helpful forum. I was doubtful over whether insulation between the outside and inside walls of my shed and in the roof space would make a great deal of difference, especially as the wall insulation was bubble wrap with a silvered outer layer. After I installed it, boarded out the inside and sealed every single gap at floor level and put insulation strip on the doors, the result was amazing. I plug in an old *Glen electric heater for 5 minutes and the shed is toasty. As I work the shed stays lovely and warm.
*Disclaimer - other makes of heater are available!
Sounds perfect I was thinking about bubble wrap insulation I think you have convinced me
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

All that plastic though. Does that fit with your stated aims?
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Carbon neutral

Post by Carbon neutral »

Steve M wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:19 pm All that plastic though. Does that fit with your stated aims?
It does because my place of work receives its orders in plastic bubble wrap that would normally be scraped so I have a plentiful supply of second hand wrap.
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

CN- just to clarify - my silvered bubble wrap was the real deal. It is marketed as insulation material for sheds, workshops and summerhouses.