Selling trains

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Kevinpottsy

Selling trains

Post by Kevinpottsy »

Hi I am a new member wanting some advice please. I have been left quite a few trains and are looking too sell them where is the best place for this to get a fair price? Is it best to just use eBay? Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks Kevin
brian1951

Re: Selling trains

Post by brian1951 »

Yes without doubt ebay is the best platform.
PBoland

Post by PBoland »

Sold and bought quite a few on Ebay, good and fair value, just got one time waster but went through the Ebay process to resolve.
Kevinpottsy

Post by Kevinpottsy »

That’s great thanks how can I work out what price to ask is there a guide somewhere on line?
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

You need to compare the items you have to the sold prices on ebay, then judge by condition to set a price or just put them up as a auction.
Kevinpottsy

Post by Kevinpottsy »

Thanks I will have a look
Chris

Post by Chris »

Ebay will often suggest prices if you are selling something that has been listed lots before, however it just looks at the average price so can be a bit misleading.

Key things that will affect the price:
1: running or not, If it doesn't work then its not got a great amount of value. Also worth pointing out if you say it works in the description and then it doesn't the buyer will have protection from ebay, this leads to you paying for a lot of postage to get it returned or you end up having to refund the difference between working/not working value.

2: boxed or not, doesn't matter if its been opened but having a box in good condition is always desirable for me it suggests that the item has been well looked after

3: Condition, does it have all the small bits easily broken, hand rails, ladders, buffers, any cracks to the plastic or scratches to the paint work

4: quality, there are lots of models that came from cheap trainsets around which are worth less than the same train that was made as a high quality model.

There are probably more but those are the things that I look for in pictures and the description if im buying second hand.
Not mentioned is the option of selling it all to a model shop most buy second hand items and while your going to take a hit on the overall price you sell them for it is quick and easy as supposed to having lots to list, box up, ship and all the fees.
Lastly theres places like facebook market place but your reaching a smaller audience, but generally its collection and no fees again though you need to work out what reasonable price you want and expect to be haggled with.
Kevinpottsy

Post by Kevinpottsy »

Hi thank you for all your advice I think I will see if I have any local collectors shops nearby as there are about 50 in total all boxed and most never used
Thanks again for all your help
Kevin
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

If you want to bulk off load of them and have an idea of what you want for them Hattons Trade In may well buy them off you. They start off with a lowish price but you can negotiate. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
GeoffAlan2

Post by GeoffAlan2 »

I've bought a number of items on 'The Bay' and if it says loco in working order, I expect it will run smoothly at slow and fast speed, possibly after a little lube and wheel cleaning. So don't misdescribe. Also, while I'll buy rolling stop if the buyer won't accept returns, I onky buy locos where a return is possible. I expect to pay a reasonable price, not close to as new price, but not stupidly low either.