Heljan Bo Bo Metrolitan locos help?

keithjs

Heljan Bo Bo Metrolitan locos help?

Post by keithjs »

Hi all, thanks for having me. Although my main hobby isn't model railways I do have have a layout featuring all things Southern, pre and post war and mainly branch lines etc.
My biggest headache is knowing which rolling stock should run with which loco...Hence my first question.
I was in Kernow models in Guildford on Saturday and was drawn to (slightly off my usual Southern interest I know) the Heljan Metropolitan Bo Bo locos.
Can anyone advise which (if any) RTR rolling stock I can use whether it be goods or passenger please? I'm not bothered which particular one I get so long as there is something behind. I must admit I quite like 9001 John Milton or 9006 William Penn.
Thank you all for any help you might be able to offer....
Rad shutters auto..........
LC&DR

Re: Heljan Bo Bo Metrolitan locos help?

Post by LC&DR »

There are currently no genuine Metropolitan carriages to accompany the Metropolitan Bo-Bo available ready to run. However the Met and later London Transport used compartment stock finished in varnished teak / painted brown finish so if you are not too fussy some of the Hornby LNER non-corridors might just do a turn. As far as freight is concerned they may well have occasionally worked the odd wagon with a brake van in tow. Genuine Metropolitan wagons or brake vans are not made, but Bachmann have made a 'Midnight Metropolitan' freight set with a pannier tank as the motive power and the BR guard's van was finished in London Transport colours.
LC&DR says South for Sunshine
keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Thank you for that. I looked at those Hornby teak coaches. I assume all I have to do is remove the LNER lettering? Are they the ones with the R4572/R4574 part numbers?
What about the really early Bachmann Southern Birdcages?
Thanks again for the advice.
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

I was thinking of R4516 and 4518, although those others would be OK. The Bachmann birdcages don't really fit, for one thing they are a bit too long, and the livery too isn't that close. If you want truly authentic models Radley Models make kits for the correct Metropolitan 'Dreadnaught' bogie carriages although this isn't a cheap option and you have to assemble and paint them yourself. Check out - https://radleymodels.com/metropolitan-stock.html
LC&DR says South for Sunshine
keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Thank you. Tha'ts very useful information. Not heard of Radley Models till now and they look nice, although as you say quite expensive (as I'd like at least 2)
Will look around for those Hornby ones. But I have to remove the LNER lettering ,yes?
Many thanks again for your help.