Change of car? Maybe.

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Walkingthedog

Re: Change of car? Maybe.

Post by Walkingthedog »

It need to be salt water to prevent it freezing.
Nurse, the screens!
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Never thought of that...
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

My 'discussion' with Halfords continues.

The promised contact from their Regional Manager never materialised and today they tried again to claim that Halfords Autocentres do not have access to a supply of Halfords branded batteries.

Just as well I took a screenshot of the website that contradicts that statement. ;)

Now back to waiting for a reply again.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Halfords have finally given in and accepted their incompetence.
In return they have refunded the cost of the ‘memory saver’ tool I had to buy and given me a voucher for a free MOT.
But I don’t think I’ll use it at either of the outlets I complained about - the temptation for revenge may be too great. :D
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

They have just changed test requirements, here. Much tighter. My volvo, has just failed on emissions, but only on max revs. Mot guy was saying that fail rate on emissions, now 70%. Taint a prob, with fuel additive, but good way of making money for the state. Its now 85 euros for test, and re test that was free, now 30 euros. I said it not auger well for my 1993 peugot, 205. Wont be a problem, he said, requirements, much lower.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Very few MOT (or equivalent) rules are retrospective.
My 43 year old Spitfire would never be expected to satisfy a 2020 standard. In fact it is now MOT and tax exempt but that’s not the point.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Heather is well chuffed. Her 1993, peugot,205, is almost a Classic. 30,000 kilometres from new, air con, auto, 1.6. When the massive hailstorm, damaged them both, the bodywork to pull out over 100 massive hailstone dents, required, came to some £2000, plus. Waited for them to send expert, and expected, a write off, offer. No, monsieur, un voiture classique, he said, and authorised repairs. Its still, like new. I expected them to repair the volvo, which cost a tad more, but past experience in uk, led me to think they would be difficult, given age of peugot. We do have fully comp cover, on it, but expect an increase in cost, next year.
lugworm

Post by lugworm »

Coming next month....p250 r-dynamic s in eiger grey
Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I don’t have time to service the Kuga myself this year and didn’t fancy paying Ford the equivalent of an arm and a leg so booked it in to one of the independent chains for its annual once over.

Not surprised to be presented with a list of ‘faults’ at the end but I was surprised as Ford have done two complete checks on the car in the last six months and found nothing.

Methinks the chain was looking for a little extra business.

Nothing on the list to get excited about but at least I can check and if necessary rectify each of them myself.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Thought you’d have learnt your lesson with the other independent chain........Halfords. :D

Taking my car in to Fords tomorrow. I trust them. I have a service scheme with them. Pay a monthly subscription and get discounted service, free MOT, discount on parts, free summer and winter check and complete valet each time it goes in.
Last edited by Walkingthedog on Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nurse, the screens!