Hunt couplings

IanS

Hunt couplings

Post by IanS »

Hunt couplings seem to be the latest 'fad' for coupling coaches. Basically two magnets on a bar fitting into NEM pockets. They're 'out of stock' at present from the sole supplier.

I've seen a couple of 'Tube videos on these. Although they look good on a rake of coaches, they're not suitable for wagons that are used in shunting.

Has anyone tried them? (I trust opinions here more than the 'Tube! :D )
bulleidboy

Re: Hunt couplings

Post by bulleidboy »

Hi Ian
I think I saw them on DaveClass47 (youtube) - if he thinks there ok - I personally would go with it. It's not something I would look at - there are several ways of getting "close coupled" coaches - not sure there necessary on wagons. Barry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU8a8X8Ab4U&t=260s
Paul-H

Post by Paul-H »

They have been sending loads of freebies the many YouTube producers hoping to push their products through virtually free advertising.

They do look quite useful and not too expensive.

Hope they do something similar for us N-Gauge modellers, as Long as they keep the price realistic, unlike the other version from the European company who seem to be asking €3.5 for one coupler.
dtb

Post by dtb »

yes Ian a fad in my opinion also, maybe a benefit on container or other wagons that are connected in pairs such as intemodal's, IDA's etc etc, not for me though i'll stick with my Kadees's on my coaches as they don't give me any trouble whatsoever. I don't think they have the pleasing aesthetic look at all either.

I think I remember someone using a similar method by cutting the Bachmann coach pipe coupling in half and gluing magnets on the ends, thought that was naff as well, I only know that because I went searching for 2mm magnets, pretty pleased I forgot all about it very quickly :lol:
Hugha

Post by Hugha »

I’ve just come across these, does anybody know if they are suitable on 2nd radius curves with a set of Bachman mark ones?
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

They have introduced a new version that overcomes the originals couplings single magnetic polarity so allowing for stock be coupled regardless of which way round it is - the originals are still available and have an obvious use where stock should be a specific way round. They IMO have a use with fiddle yards as it makes extracting a item of stock simpler than if using tension locks or the Roco/Hornby close coupler and cheaper than Kadees so on a set rake they are useful for the couplings within the rake.