First Steam trip of the year for us.

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Walkingthedog

Re: First Steam trip of the year for us.

Post by Walkingthedog »

There is nothing wrong at all. I’m not daft and know all the rules. 71, married 48 years with 3 children. Times like this call for trust. I don’t intend to give my card to some unknown passer by. Don’t think a pint of milk and a loaf will cost more than 30 quid. Got some cash in the house if needed.
Nurse, the screens!
sandy

Post by sandy »

Yes I would do the same with my card if I was in your position walkingthedog. But we have only lived here 6 months so do not know many people well enough. Not well enough to give them my card anyway. Of course, we have money in the house I expect most people do. But you still have to go out to spend it. It is not like the old days when you used to get the milkman, the baker and butcher and the candlestick maker calling at your door, is it.
One advantage we do have at moment is this area has no cases of coronavirus yet. We live in low population area. Not many people, or much traffic, just nice countryside for miles. Peaceful. Not like down south, a great metropolis with a huge population. And yes I have lived in the great crowded south where you live as well as beautiful Scotland.
Sandy
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

On the question of cards on line, the EEC have introduced a new security system, whereby when you buy on line, before payment can be accepted, your bank has to send an sms, with a code. You then enter that, and card and payment accepted. I know not whether it has yet reached uk, but certainly Paypal, now require additional security.
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Yes John, it has reached theses shores. There have been a few retailers sending out advices that it was being introduced - I bought something the other day and had to use two level security. Not a bad idea really.
We also use it for access to our work computer system from home.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I get an SMS code occasionally when buying on line. This won’t affect people using my card in a food shop though.
Nurse, the screens!
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

WTD, agree, i was really aiming it at Sandy, in view of his problem with his purchase. 90% of what we buy on line, now needs an sms. Problem being that our mobiles are for emergency only, and never turned on. Hence when turned on, usually flat. Tis a pain, but i am happy with the increased security.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I've been shopping for an elderly neighbour this morning - into Morrisons just after nine, got everything required, in and out in minutes. Used the self-service checkout and paid using contactless card - no problems. Washed hands as soon as I got back in. Suns shining - all ok. :D
sandy

Post by sandy »

Thanks for the info about the SMS and yes the bank screen square comes up with message enter code. Problem is it flashes up so fast then vanishes in about 1 second, there is not even time to note the code let alone enter it somewhere. Then it says sorry your payment was declined.
Now it is impossible to get through on customer service they are use the excuse that they are using government corona guidelines. While they are making millions out of it.
Stuff you lot comes to mind. Every little helps. Yes. Tesco, helps themselves
Sandy
sandy

Post by sandy »

It really does not help people telling stories about them not having any problems . It would be more helpful people having any ideas how to help the ones having problems. It is like some are just gloating.
Sandy
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

You make it sound as though Tesco is doing all this on purpose.

They have had a few issues with their website for a couple of weeks, since their club card system as hacked in fact.

When we had the same issue with the payment process I phoned them and was advised to click on the three dots in the top right hand corner of the screen and select a different opening option - I think it was ‘open in new window’ or something very similar. Sorry but I can’t remember the exact option.
That worked and the payment went through - this week the ‘ordinary’ page worked perfectly.

Give it a try.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)