LC&DR's Loco Shed

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
dynax

Re: LC&DR's Loco Shed

Post by dynax »

They are excellent works of modelling
Mike.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Very nice. :)
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
LC&DR

Post by LC&DR »

The shed is based upon a real one, however it has had to be shortened to fit it on to my layout. The real one was built by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (Who else!?) and was constructed mainly from photographs and ground plans. I managed to find somebody who had pictures of the shed shortly before it was demolished. It was east of Gillingham station and on the south side of the London Victoria to Ramsgate / Dover line. After that there was a level crossing, and in 1938 the Southern Railway built a huge electric multiple unit shed. Truncated copies of these are planned for the model but not built yet.

Construction was in Plasticard, brick pattern for the walls and corrugated iron for the roof. The shed was originally roofed in slate but sometime in the 1950s these were replaced by corrugated asbestos so I have represented this by corrugated iron plasticard painted light grey. The windows along the side are Wills. Behind the shed are the offices, and a boiler house / sand drier these too are reduced to make them fit. The boiler house chimney is a Bachmann cast resin one, and still needs a cap.

My layout represents Gillingham (Kent) station from the overbridge with station building to the end of the carriage sidings, but to fit it all in it is all much reduced.
LC&DR says South for Sunshine