poorly computer

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
Walkingthedog

Re: poorly computer

Post by Walkingthedog »

My desktop is W10 and I have never had adverts. Why are you getting them?
Nurse, the screens!
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

mijj wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:05 pm I am running W7 on this desk top and removed Avast (anti virus and VPN) as they slowed everything down until it was painful to work. it now works fine.
I'd have the memory sticks on your desk top checked out if it was mine.
I tried W10 on a lap-top but it was full of adverts. I'd heard of peeps getting rid of them but no one has offered.
Jim
Jim, you should keep one anti-virus program on your PC and keep it up to date. A VPN will slow down your internet speed as data is being delivered indirectly, typically my internet speed is 68-70Mbps but drops to around 20Mbps when I switch the VPN on.

Regarding unwanted adverts on new Winows installs, this is down to "bloatware" where the computer manufacturer has arrangements with software companies to install them. It is pretty easy to delete these after and there are plenty of vids on youtube to help you. If you download or buy Windows 10 direct from Microsoft it will not contain 3rd party bloatware but will install trial versions of their own products such as Microsoft Offce. If you dont use it again it's easy to delete.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Forfarian

Post by Forfarian »

teedoubleudee wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:39 pm
mijj wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:05 pm I am running W7 on this desk top and removed Avast (anti virus and VPN) as they slowed everything down until it was painful to work. it now works fine.
I'd have the memory sticks on your desk top checked out if it was mine.
I tried W10 on a lap-top but it was full of adverts. I'd heard of peeps getting rid of them but no one has offered.
Jim
Jim, you should keep one anti-virus program on your PC and keep it up to date. A VPN will slow down your internet speed as data is being delivered indirectly, typically my internet speed is 68-70Mbps but drops to around 20Mbps when I switch the VPN on.

Regarding unwanted adverts on new Winows installs, this is down to "bloatware" where the computer manufacturer has arrangements with software companies to install them. It is pretty easy to delete these after and there are plenty of vids on youtube to help you. If you download or buy Windows 10 direct from Microsoft it will not contain 3rd party bloatware but will install trial versions of their own products such as Microsoft Offce. If you dont use it again it's easy to delete.
My W10 is a MS bought version, no adverts runs very well.
Forfarian aka Tim
Of course I talk to myself, I sometimes need expert advice!
Brian

Post by Brian »

I used to get adverts on Windows 10 and previous versions too. I use AdBlock to stop these appearing. Download for free.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Windows 10 regardless of which version (Home, Pro or Enterprise) will have some bloatware. Candy crush and rubbish like that. All of which can be uninstalled (not deleted) otherwise the apps still there it just won't show. Right click the app in the start menu and select uninstall. Some you can't get rid of without running scripts and those can just be removed from the start menu.

As for anti virus, it's always a good idea to have it. That said though, the version of Windows defender that now comes with Windows 10 is excellent and provided you install updates when they are available it should keep you safe. However, it does of course depend on your browsing habits. You can have all the locks and bolts you want, but open the door in an unsafe email or website and you will get bitten.

Windows 7 still works fine, it's just not supported any more, which means that Microsoft will no longer be releasing security patches or updates for it. If you can I would go to Windows 10 purely for the security if nothing else. All systems will slow down over time and generally clearing temp files and cache will help maintain the systems performance. If it's still bad it could be a hardware issue. You might be running out of space, or one of the components could be starting to die. Maybe try a complete clean, fresh reinstall of Windows 7 before you commit to any purchases. If it's still slow it probably is hardware. Computers on the whole are only as good as it's weakest / slowest component.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
Eric-B

Post by Eric-B »

I gave up battling with it, and went for a clean re-install.
Working perfectly now.
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Best and cheapest option.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
Chuffchuff

Post by Chuffchuff »

Just a passing thought, how old is the hard disc ? It might pay to run a check on it for failing sectors. Although reformatting the disc before loading the operating system should solve the older bad sectors.

Freebie checkers are on the web from most hard disc manufacturers.

Plan B. Replace the disc with a solid state disc, a Samsung sad 500gb is about £80, and comes with cloning software. The difference in performance over a traditional Hd makes it worthwhile with performance similar to tablet / iPad.

Plenty of YouTube advice on how to do it, certainly no problem for a confirmed model rail enthusiast :mrgreen:

Rgds
Eric-B

Post by Eric-B »

Scandisk and defraggler both return disk health 100% - capacity is at around 50% used.
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Windows 10 updates can cause problems and Microsoft has pulled at least one off it's web site and is currently not issuing new ones except important security patches. I've had a few issues myslf and gone back to an earlier version. Search the net for details.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician