painting baseboards

All posts regarding baseboard construction
sandy

painting baseboards

Post by sandy »

Sorry if you think this is a daft question.
Have just finished my new base board which is 10 mm ply but I had some white Melamine 15 mm chip board from a larder cupboard I took to bits which was nice and flat in good usable condition. I made 2 sections from that. I normally paint my base boards (ply wood) with any emulsion silk brown or what ever. But this melamine white chip board probably will not take emulsion paint I am guessing. What would you suggest using instead. I have rubbed it down with sand paper to flat it. It is 9x9 ft so. Around the room. 2.7234m square for the youngsters among us. :)
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Re: painting baseboards

Post by Walkingthedog »

Emulsion will stick to just about anything. Try a bit first, if it doesn’t stick, which I’m sure it will, prime it with some PVA. Rubbing it down first would be a good idea.
Nurse, the screens!
sandy

Post by sandy »

Walkingthedog wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:01 am Emulsion will stick to just about anything. Try a bit first, if it doesn’t stick, which I’m sure it will, prime it with some PVA. Rubbing it down first would be a good idea.
Thank you for your reply. Good idea priming with pva first I didn't think of that. Will give that a try. Thanks for tip.
Sandy
sandy

Post by sandy »

As said before I made one baseboard and the lifting section from white Melamine finished chipboard because had it lying around. (shame to waste it.)
I painted them in emulsion paint like the other ply boards and now after 3 weeks have found the emulsion on the white coated chip board did not take to well so have flatted it and done it with normal oil base paint hoping it wares better. It has to be covered with scenic grass etc; anyway so hope the new paint holds the scenic stuff better than the emulsion.
Sandy