Basic Baseboard with Hornby MidiMat TrackMat

All posts regarding baseboard construction
leeberry50

Basic Baseboard with Hornby MidiMat TrackMat

Post by leeberry50 »

Hi,
I am wanting to set up a basic layout for my son, he is just getting into this and has just got the Hornby industrial freight set. this comes with the MidiMat.

I want a quick (cheap incase he doesn't stick with it) baseboard set up so that don't have to build the track every time he wants to play with it.

any ideas please?

Thanks
Brian

Re: Basic Baseboard with Hornby MidiMat TrackMat

Post by Brian »

Ready built (flat pack delivered often) or build it yourself?
Ready made there are several suppliers but the current lockdown situation is preventing many from working.
Build it yourself. Depends on whether you need to support it on its own legs or you just want the board on top of say an existing table? The simplest would be perhaps a piece of 12mm stranded board OSB cut to size. Plywood or even MDF are also suitable. Note that ideally any sheet material should be supported underneath to give added rigidity and to prevent the main board from twisting and warping. Some modellers have used building insulation sheet such as Kingspan. But if support legs are needed then a timber under frame will be almost essential
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
leeberry50

Re: Basic Baseboard with Hornby MidiMat TrackMat

Post by leeberry50 »

Hi Brian,

thanks for the reply, sorry should have been more specific.

it will be lay on the floor or on an existing table, it will be stored vertical against a wall. so ideally lightweight

I am happy, and able, to build myself.