Scratch modelling buildings in card.

Help with designing your track work
The Sligo Rover

Scratch modelling buildings in card.

Post by The Sligo Rover »

Help again please, can any of you experienced chaps recommend a web site or a scource of information for a beginner who is trying his hand at some basic card modelling, thank you.
Chuffchuff

Re: Scratch modelling buildings in card.

Post by Chuffchuff »

This site has a few links to free downloads that can be either printed direct onto card, or paper then stuck on card.

I sourced my card mainly from Amazon as I was looking for 2, 1, 0.5 mm thick card. Card thickness is not the same as weight. Some weights (grams/metre square) can give different thicknesses of card , depending on manufacturers. Cereal packets are a good source but tend to curl because the are printed on one size.

Web search for “ model card building tip hint” brings up useful information.

Sharp scissors, blades, Elastoplast and PVA glue all help.

Rgds

Oops forgot. https://modelrailwayengineer.com/free-m ... ding-kits/
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

I started my making a few Metcalfe kits, as I found the instructions easy to follow and gives you an idea as to how to use strengthening pieces and tabs etc. to help keep the models square.
After that I made a few basic huts etc. using pre-printed brick and roof sheets or downloadable ones from the internet, before moving on to more complex buildings such as a goods shed (based on drawings I found in an edition of Railway Modeller a few years ago) and a loco shed (based on photos of ones in my local area).

One tip - change your scalpel blades often as it's surprising how card makes them go blunt.
Forfarian

Post by Forfarian »

http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk

Plenty of stuff to pick from on here
Forfarian aka Tim
Of course I talk to myself, I sometimes need expert advice!
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

I had a go at two Metcalfe kits first. Then I threw myself in at the deep end and made an aqueduct as a scenic break. It was then that the swearing started. As stated before, sharp blades are needed. Also a steel rule and glue which doesn’t go off too quickly. Give it a go - the sense of achievement is enormous and you have a one off model.
General DeGaulle

Post by General DeGaulle »

Have you tried using foamboard? Architectural modellers use this. I find that the 4mm sheets, which measure about 50 x 100 cm, make a good sturdy model and once built, use Metcalf brick or stone card to finish off. A sheet costs around a fiver (last time I bought some). Available in artist supply shops.
The Sligo Rover

Post by The Sligo Rover »

Thank you to everybody for the replies. I am familiar with the kits mentioned and have tried them.
What I was really after was a bit of guidance on scratch building, perhaps a good book or web site that you could recommend. Thank you again to all.
davidrivett

Post by davidrivett »

I found that trial and error work, why not build a prototype or shell for practise then use stronger card when confident?

i used any old card - packing card, cerial or delivery boxes - and good old glue stick. Once happy I've made the proper frame then used card sheets such as metcalfe brick to decorate.

i would recommend clothes pegs to nip the glue in place and definitely a sharp scalpel with replacement blades, cutting mat and strong ruler!
Forfarian

Post by Forfarian »

Amazon boxes are a great source of card and good quality.
Forfarian aka Tim
Of course I talk to myself, I sometimes need expert advice!