Heljan class 33 lights

LEVO

Heljan class 33 lights

Post by LEVO »

New Heljan class 33 just arrived, but having removed the body to fit new Lenz decoder there is no sign of rear lights coming on in either direction. Refitted blanking plug still no rear lights, though in Model Rail review it mentions illuminated rear lights as does instructions in the box. Anyone else experienced this

Thanks
Mr Bones

Re: Heljan class 33 lights

Post by Mr Bones »

Watching with interest as mine has just arrived.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
IanS

Post by IanS »

This review may be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nUiaT5EDeY

it also has a 33 with faults. View from time 14:30 if you don't wish to sit through the whole video.

Another about lights In a review on DC operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV3KEK4Q1Ug Timestamp 10:00
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Have been running mine in on DC (33025 Sultan) and noticed that the lights are very dim, but increase in brightness as more power is applied. Not tried it with a decoder in yet so will let you know once that arrives.
I have noticed though that whilst running in that the motor seems to slow to almost stop every so often. Did you encounter that? Seems odd.
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
dtb

Post by dtb »

The forum is great because of all the valuable info that is shared amongst the members, I got rid of my other Heljan loco's because of problems and was interested in a new tooled 33 but as there seems to be issues with this model I have decided not to bother.

Hope you all can get a result with your problems, I will scrap the idea of a 33 and the money will be put towards another sound decoder.
LEVO

Post by LEVO »

Hi Mr B. To date no running problems, but definitely a rear light problem
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Don't write off the Heljan Class 33. She might not be everyone's cup of tea and might have some issues, but I love mine.
Today I put in the decoder and initially she ran, but had no lights at all. I turned the decoder round and everything is now fine. In fact she is a lovely runner in DCC, very pleased. It was also probably the easiest loco I've ever opened.

Levo, is it worth trying the decoder the other way round? There is no indication of pin 1 so it's trial and error. The lights do work, but are very dim. In fact the blinds show better than the lights.
When you had the casing off to fit the decoder, did the lights work either end? In mine there are two light each end and the light is transferred in the cabs by clear plastic strips. Check the lights come on when changing direction with the casing off.

I believe that the Heljan's motors have quite a draw, so check that your decoder can manage it. I've used a Hornby R8245 Sapphire which seems fine.
I can't offer anything other than that I'm afraid.