Hello! ...and help!

Just joined, say 'Hello' in here
OJ_the_novice

Hello! ...and help!

Post by OJ_the_novice »

Hi everyone, I'm new here and new to model railways in general. It's always been a dream, and it's possibly still a few years before I have a decent loft for a proper layout but eventually I'd like to build something modelled on the Harrogate line in Yorkshire, as I'm from that area. Seems like a good idea to start a collection of locos, track, scenery features etc in advance of having the space for a layout working on the basis that I'd like to spread the cost a bit over time!

First though, I'm trying to do as much research as I can find, especially the period around privatisation. I'm finding it fairly easy to find out certain things about the history of the line around that period, but other things are less clear such as particular liveries and service operators. I've chosen this period as it resonates with my own experiences of trains as a teenager, but please let me know if this period is best avoided for modelling, though I can't think why...

I'd really appreciate any advice from anyone that knows about the Harrogate line around the mid 90's, (and even services in and out of Leeds station such as trans pennine etc) or if you can point me in the right direction. I guess all this information is out there, just a case of looking in the right place!

Cheers, Owen.
Mountain Goat

Re: Hello! ...and help!

Post by Mountain Goat »

The previous BR blue era is easier to model in, but the early privatisation era is a lovely challenge of a mass of different liveries. I can only relate to what I used to see in south west Wales.
Probably the easiest way is to start gathering information of what passed in your area at the time. Books and the internet are your best resources here along with memories of what you witnessed.
Your main choices of models will likely be in N or 00 gauges. 00 gauge is the most popular. N gauge is much smaller so one can get it to fit in a smaller space. I've personally found the smaller scales to be a little more difficult to model in, but they offer the chance to get more scenery in.
Be aware though that to model a scale replica of ones own area will take a lot of space and will probably cost a fair bit to buy model examples of the trains that ran through.
There is also 0 gauge which is larger still. It is easier to build things in this scale, but it does tend to be more costly and takes up a lot of space with many 0 gauge modellers venturing out into the garden to solve these issues.

Be aware that if you want to go railway modelling and have a less defined approach, then your choice opens up yet again to include narrow gauges and the rarely modelled broad gauges. I'd not recommend broad gauges for a beginner, but I do say that narrow gauges are certainly possible to model in, and with a little thought and knowhow can offer extreme budget options to those who dont mind simple forms of scratchbuilding, especially in 0-16.5 form, while 009 offers a good space saving way for modellers to enjoy the hobby.
I'm not saying that narrow gauges are for everyone, but to say that they are there as an option which is probably one that most newcomers into the hobby dont often consider.
Another thought that I've not mentioned are the timescale standard gauges. 00 gauge, which is the most popular isn't actually that accurate as the gauge width is out by a couple of mm compared to its scale. The answer comes in EM or for better accuracy, P4. N gauge also has 2mm finescale. These may not be the best option for a beginner, but I'd thought I would mention them.
Other options are the equivalent scales and gauges that are available to the rest of the world, e.g. H0.
Budget modelling in 0-16.5...
OJ_the_novice

Post by OJ_the_novice »

thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'm definitely going with 00, more available in that gauge it seems.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Certainly cheaper than N or Z. I run all 3, being a glutton for punishment, If i had started, 20 years ago, Z would have been my choice, but costly, in retirement