The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
cheshire lines

Re: The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Post by cheshire lines »

Yes, I bought one of those packs too and already had a pack of the 3 wagons, so now have a rake of 6, but as you say they do need loads to complete them.
I've been trying to find some pictures of the loaded wagons to check whether they were sheeted or not to protect the rock salt from the rain.
I suppose I should think about weathering the wagons too, but don't know if I can bring myself to do it.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi Cheshire Lines, you mentioned not being able to bring yourself to weathering the wagons, and I'm exactly the same. I rather like adding grime to scenic features - it's fun to do and looks correct, but locomotives and rolling stock, no way. That said I do have one ready-weathered wagon which was a present and it does look fine, but I prefer them spotless. Whoever heard of a spotless coal wagon? Your rake of six sounds good. Perhaps an idea is forming in my head for a Christmas present to myself.

More Faces of Old Two-face

Misty Morning

Working on the Railway

In Your Face

I gave the Janus its statuary 30 minute run in without wagons today. I had to clean the track first as it was none too keen on my dirty rails. Reunited with the ICI salt wagons, it went a treat. Lovely.
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

Agree with you about weathering. I just can’t bring myself to weather any of my trains or rolling stock at the moment.
I do like to see layouts with weathered stock as it looks so realistic and I do attempt to make my scenery and buildings look real but I can’t dirty my trains yet. I think that if I purchased some already weathered stuff I may relent and change my mind then have a go at weathering but I don’t think I am really ready for the plunge yet.
Puddles
It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
IanS

Post by IanS »

Similarly, I like the look of the weathered locos and stock at exhibitions but I can't bring myself to pay the extra for ones already weathered nor to have my pristine locos 'dirtied' even though it would make them look more used.

My philosophy on weathering is Rule 1 !
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

I quite like the look of weathered locos and wagons when they are ready done by the manufacturers, but don't think I have the skill to do it properly myself.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi Puddles, IanS and Cheshire Lines, regarding the weathering, I simply like them pristine and shiny. I suspect that I could make a good job of weathering regarding the look, but I would worry that I would get paint on the wheels, axils and whatnot, where it would mess up the smooth running of the locomotive or wagons.

On the Move

On the Edge

In Your Face
Chops

Post by Chops »

Can’t bring myself, either, to weather any British thing. Looking great, that Janus, et al.

We see the revellers are still hard at it! :)
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

It does seem a shame to put a load of grime onto something so nice, Chops, but I'm guessing that you weather your American trains. I haven't looked that closely at your videos to see. The revellers are indeed still at it and are likely to continue for the foreseeable future although there have been some subtle changes, which I hope to photograph in the next few days.

And here is a rather delightful birthday present.

IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

My birthday present from my sister and her husband is this Hornby Sentinel, which I couldn't resist pairing up with the ICI salt wagons acquired earlier on account of the fact that they are a similar shade of blue, and this also happens to be close to the company blue of the SGR. The photos came out rather poor as the light was fading (that's my excuse), but here's a couple until I can take some more.

Puddles

Post by Puddles »

That is a nice birthday present to receive,I do not have any small diesel locos on my layout yet just a couple of Deltics and I keep dropping hints to Head Office ( the wife) so maybe Maybe next Christmas.
Like the pictures.
Puddles
It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.