Electricitying points and adding signals

AndyH

Re: Electricitying points and adding signals

Post by AndyH »

Given up for the night. The whole slider bar has now come out.
Tried using another point but doesn't have the holes for the legs to hold in to so the whole motor moves rather than the switch.

Half the problem is that the track isn't very good to start with but have a limited budget, I can't just go and get all new stuff.

I may look to simplify things to start with and have something like a double loop with sidlings and crossover

Will think overnight and come back with fresh eyes.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

None of the points, and there were over 30, had motors on my last layout. If you can reach them they are not always necessary.
Nurse, the screens!
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Yup, if you were in the middle of your layout, you would be able to work them all manually.
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

what i forgot to add, was that all my 20 point, are fitted with Surface mounted point motors. Much, easier to fit, and line up.
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

Is there a way to *convert" an under board solenoid motor to a surface mount one? I would prefer surface mount I think as easier to move around etc.
Thanks Andy
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

yes, you can fit them on the surface, and Hornby sell a little hut to cover them. Test each point as you lay the track, working them by hand without motor. I have never broken one. What did you do.
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

yelrow wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:35 pm yes, you can fit them on the surface, and Hornby sell a little hut to cover them. Test each point as you lay the track, working them by hand without motor. I have never broken one. What did you do.
Sorry to sound thick but how do you connect them when surface mounted? Currently I can only see them clipped in underneath with the little pin eluding the point?
yelrow

Post by yelrow »

Can i suggest before you worry about point motors, you join themto track as i suggested, and make sure they change, and loco works on both exits. You will then know how many points work, and you can plan your track. Manymodellers dont bother with motors and change them by hand. Much cheaper, quicker, and once you have a working layout, you can then, move to electrics.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

You can by an adapter to mount the motors on the surface.
Nurse, the screens!
AndyH

Post by AndyH »

yelrow wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:54 pm Can i suggest before you worry about point motors, you join themto track as i suggested, and make sure they change, and loco works on both exits. You will then know how many points work, and you can plan your track. Manymodellers dont bother with motors and change them by hand. Much cheaper, quicker, and once you have a working layout, you can then, move to electrics.
Yes I will test the points, prior to continuing with motors. I have for example 2 point NTS making the cross over which are dead, I'm assuming they're insolated/isolated so before wiring another power lead to them, I wanted to understand whether installing motors would provide power, I now know how the motors work and won't give power to the cross over points.

I'm also tempted to start again, as I've said I don't think the track is connected properly, yes it just about joins but stretching and straining in places. I've just had a play on anyrail (limited to 50 pieces) tempted to have an oval at the front with point either side running loop around the back.
Personally I think I'd prefer an end to end with towns either side but for the kids keeping a round loop