A Question of Cardstock

Your place to show and describe in detail and with photos how you produced a specific item of modelling. Rolling stock, Building or something related.
Chops

A Question of Cardstock

Post by Chops »

This for a North American project, specifically Old West. I am seeking cardstock, or downloadable image thereof, of adobe.
An internet search has so far come up nil. Any links? :?
footplate

Re: A Question of Cardstock

Post by footplate »

Chops I don’t know if these are any good. I just typed in cardstock old west..
3D487B35-08E4-465A-9444-885AA99183D9.png
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Have you tried the local supply houses that sell paper to commercial printers? I spent over 40 years in the printing trade and always was amazed at the choices. We had an account with all the local suppliers and could always get a couple of 8.5 x 11 pieces as a sample. You may have to buy full size sheets of 23 x 35 but you could buy only 2 if needed. You won't believe the selection.
Chops

Post by Chops »

I found that Wild West site, too, which is the classic vision. That view is more pertinent to the
Northern climes, where pine was abundant. In the southerly desert reaches, not unlike Australian Outback,
mud, not wood, is the abundant material. So much so, when it is contemplated, most things from
eating utensils to brick was fashioned from mud. I hadn’t thought of a print shop, I will see if anything
might lend itself to the purpose.

After the introduction of the railway into El Paso in 1881, pine was imported from the mountains 120 km
from the North country in large quantity, and adobe was eliminated as fast as could be torn down. No
love lost there.

I did try one small structure in adobe, out of discarded packing foam. It greatly resembles a lump.
Chuffchuff

Post by Chuffchuff »

Any use ?

http://modelrailroadlayoutsandscenery.c ... ahuna.html

If you subscribe to the site (free) , there is a regular news letter detailing members layouts, a mixture of northern American and U.K. . Site seems USA based, but postal address is Devon

Some reads more useful than others

Rgds
Chops

Post by Chops »

Really good looking stuff, but no adobe mud brick, alas. If I turn my attention back east, that covered bridge looks very nice indeed.
I am not sure what function the roof on a railroad covered bridge served, no point as a snow shed discernible. For horse drawn
traffic, it had the purpose of preventing the horse from shying at crossing over water and perceiving a sudden chasm. Having grown up
around horses, and having been merrily flung through the ears of a horse, or otherwise given ariel lessons upon coming up on a brook at
full canter, I know this to be so. (I prefer train travel: much safer).
Chuffchuff

Post by Chuffchuff »

I forgot to add that my link above has links to a series of (entertaining and enthusiastic) hints and tips on building card models.

Or use https://youtu.be/4xAYjT9FJOM

Rgds
Chops

Post by Chops »

Thank you, for that!
JimRead

Post by JimRead »

Hello Chops,

Game authors use a site called textures.com, here's a link from a 'mud' search: https://www.textures.com/search?q=mud scroll right down to see the various pics.

If you sign up to the site you can have 15MB of pics per day at a reasonable size, tile a pic or two, print them onto plain paper glue to card, spray with Media Range colour protection spray and they'll last for years. The spray makes the paper waterproof as well so you can go right up to the edge with soggy scenic stuff and it won't capillary up the paper and card.

Cheers - Jim
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

Thanks Jim,

I've used the textures.com website for a few building photos for my backscenes.
Good tip about using colour protection spray.