Scenic cement

Help with layout scenics
Carl L

Scenic cement

Post by Carl L »

I've just watched for the umpteenth time Everard Junction's YouTube video branch line scenery. Once the coarse turf is added to the embankment it is then sprayed with scenic cement (1part adhesive three parts water). Is scenic cement, as marketed by Woodland Scenics (and no doubt other manufacturers), no more than pva which is diluted down?

I'd like to use the method for this embankment to save hovering most of it off again.

platelayer

Re: Scenic cement

Post by platelayer »

Hi, you could try a cheap sticky hairspray put over it once it`s dry.
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

I like that idea, seems a lot less messy.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

I use PVA or similar for the base scatter and then hairspray or lacquer for each subsequent layer, and then again to finish with.

On my recent scenic work on Montgreenan and for the first time I used a tip I picked up to lightly sprinkle very fine garden soil ( dried of course) and I was really pleased with the depth this added to the scatter or static grass surface and the variations in tone that were introduced etc...... I also mixed a slightly lighter shade of scatter and very lightly sprinkled that where the ballast meets the grass embankment to represent a scorched or weed killer treated surface.........

Hope this helps - cheers Richard
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Another option is layering spray - usually used with static grass but can be used for scatter material. If there is a lot to fix down then dilute PVA is the most cost effective method.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Carl L

Post by Carl L »

Thanks for the replies, helpful as always.

A static grass applicator has yet to be acquired but I think I really do need one - all in good time.
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Looking good - I'm pretty certain that Everard Junction (Richard) said that the WS Scenic Cement is virtually diluted PVA - he was very impressed with the bottle it came in - it didn't clog. I have a bottle which is now filled with diluted PVA. The bottle on it's own is about a fiver from Hattons - they want £10 in Hobbycraft.