LD&ECR - station paint "green"

Your place to show and describe in detail and with photos how you produced a specific item of modelling. Rolling stock, Building or something related.
Chuffinell

LD&ECR - station paint "green"

Post by Chuffinell »

I am building a model of an LD&ECR station. It is known that doors, window frames and ironwork were painted "green". No details of what green exist. The same colour was used on signal boxes according to research. All that survives of the original green is some which survived on the inside of doors of Ollerton goods shed - these attached. Obviously shades fade & weather greatly over time and this paint had been there for a 100 years when these pic's were taken, but these were on the inside, so give an indication. Any suggestions what the original green might have been, or maybe suggestions as which current paint products might suffice as a reasonable stab at it?

bulleidboy

Re: LD&ECR - station paint "green"

Post by bulleidboy »

Your pictures depict a "very" weathered/faded green. I have used Phoenix Precision Paints P93 S.R.Middle Chrome Green (Dull) - (Station Buildings).

Obviously straight out of the pot it would look very new - albeit "dull", so would need dulling down even further to get a well weathered appearance. Other manufacturers may make a similar colour. BB
Chuffinell

Post by Chuffinell »

I want it look fairly new tbh, not 100 years old like the pic's!, so will have a look at your suggestion, thanks
JimRead

Post by JimRead »

Hello Cih,

I snipped part of the door and loaded it to Valspar;

They came up with this 'Hinterlands R248C' apparently B&Q will mix it, perhaps they would do a sample pot, you never know.

Cheers - Jim

[edit]

Having found Mr Booth's book I snipped the cover and Valspar came along with the above, 'Catnip R235B'
sandy

Post by sandy »

Looking at your photos and taking into account that the camera is not the best tool for colour matching I would take a guess at LNER Doncaster green in railway colours. Also in thoughs days there was not many paint colours available I dont think.
Sandy