Breakdown trains and their rolling stock

Rog (RJ)

Re: Breakdown trains and their rolling stock

Post by Rog (RJ) »

Looks good to me but I think we all know that what we see on a screen can look different in reality.
vespa

Post by vespa »

I will have a look for the Hyundai I10 on car parks, as well. I agree that the screen can be different. I photographed the crane off my computer and it really changed shade. I will have a look at the tin of paint as well as Hycote usually put the paint colour in the tin on the lid. I am glad you think it's near enough Rog. My wife thinks it is also pretty much the same shade. There was one other but it was an American colour that had that more spot on look (well to me anyway) The trouble was it was in 1 litre cans for spraying and in the USA. With all the paint makers for modelling I would have thought suggestions on their websites would be very useful. Humbrol used to make specific railway colours listed as to the items it was for. If anyone can help there I would be grateful if they could let me know.
Train enthusiast from the 50's. Started with Hornby Dublo.
vespa

Post by vespa »

Unfortunately this project has been delayed due to illness that I seem unable to shake off at present. There has been a bit of movement in the fact that I have bought the paint and 3 seperate sets of transfers. The coach roof has had the vents fitted and the windows masked up so that some will be sprayed over as if an altered coach. The chassis is also suitably masked as it seems that the main frames under the body are indeed body colour on most of the coaches I have seen photos of. The van is seperated from the chassis but I need to mask the roof. (I forgot when doing the other bits :oops: ) I am leaving the chassis on this black as the smaller vehicles seem to be like that. Hopefully I can get stuck in to the project again soon. I just feel too off the mark at present.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Sorry to hear you are poorly Vespa, hope you improve soon.
Nurse, the screens!
vespa

Post by vespa »

Thank you for your comments WTD. I decided to get some spraying done after all. What a mess. I cleaned off the surfaces with washing up liquid as usual and thoroughly washed them with cold water and off I went into the garage. The black spray I used for the roofs was superb. The red was a disaster and I had to clean it off quickly as it went into globules on the coach sides. The windows were fine. I used a can of paint thinners to get off the paint and sadly it marked one side of the coach. After washing it and dryiing I was totally gutted as it had eaten into the plastic. Not to give up I had another go and the paint went on OK this time but was not dense enough. I added two more coats as the day went on and the damaged side is not looking too bad now. The extra paint coat has smoothed it over. I was going to mask up the van and in the process found that the roof was seperate, so no need to mask up. The body of the van will also need extra coats as it hasn't covered very well. Patience is the best approach. The coach chassis is not taking the red paint very well in the angle sections so that "may" end up black again. Hopefully I can post some pics when they are finished with the transfer on.
vespa

Post by vespa »

Well 2 years on and little movement until this week when I got hold of a Hornby Tool Van off Ebay for £5. Now all I have to do is get the transfers onto the coach and the other van. I haven't a clue what the correct numbering is so thaey are getting what looks OK from my transfer sheets. I assembled the Dapol coach today and sometime tomorrow I will cut the transfers and apply them. I always like to be accurate but on this occasion it will be a case of this is right and prove otherwise. :? I have spent 2 hours looking at photos of vans etc and non are the same or even available in 00 by any makers, unless they are diesel era.