N gauge fish plates

Help with designing your track work
Butch

N gauge fish plates

Post by Butch »

So I've just put my test loop together. I'm using long lengths of bendy track so I only have four joints for this test. I bought the cheapest fish plates I could find on line. These are Guagemaster and come in strips of four that I then have to clip off with side cutters.

I have to say these don't seem very convincingly grippy. I can imagine that it won't take many of these in circuit before I see a significant power drop off (and accepting that for the moment the power can go both ways round the track. Is there a better product out there or do I have to resign myself to soldering in jumper leads at fairly regular intervals?
All N Gauge
Walkingthedog

Re: N gauge fish plates

Post by Walkingthedog »

Squeeze them together a tiny bit before fitting.
Nurse, the screens!
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

n gauge fishplates do vary, if using Peco flexi-track always use Peco fishplates.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Slide them onto the two abutting rails so as they are as near as possible 50/50 on each rail. Then with a pair of ordinary pliers gently squeeze up the bottom of the Fishplate onto the rails foot on each rail. :D
Personally, I would avoid squeezing them off the rails, as you may end up with non fitting and then useless joiners. :o
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Butch

Post by Butch »

Brian wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:51 pm Slide them onto the two abutting rails so as they are as near as possible 50/50 on each rail. Then with a pair of ordinary pliers gently squeeze up the bottom of the Fishplate onto the rails foot on each rail. :D
Personally, I would avoid squeezing them off the rails, as you may end up with non fitting and then useless joiners. :o
OK thanks Brian. Just had your book delivered here so plenty to be digesting there.
All N Gauge
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

A simple device to help you attach fish plates can be made with a short length of rail soldered into a brass tube with a half rail joiner length sticking out. File the protruding rail section so it is a loose fit in a joiner, attach a handle on the other end of the tube (I used an old cupboard knob). Slip a rail joiner on the device and push on the rail end, the tube ensures only half a joiner goes on the rail and it really saves on sore fingers.

Richard
Brian

Post by Brian »

Tricky Dicky wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:52 am A simple device to help you attach fish plates can be made with a short length of rail soldered into a brass tube with a half rail joiner length sticking out. File the protruding rail section so it is a loose fit in a joiner, attach a handle on the other end of the tube (I used an old cupboard knob). Slip a rail joiner on the device and push on the rail end, the tube ensures only half a joiner goes on the rail and it really saves on sore fingers.

Richard
Excellent advice from Richard. A Fishplate insertion tool is a great tool to make and have. As Richard says "It saves on sore fingers"! I speak with a voice of "I've been there too!" :D
A 45ish degree bend in the handle just before the tools piece of rail or in the rail itself helps too. :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website