Wiring sound chip into GWR 14xx

ajcooper4

Wiring sound chip into GWR 14xx

Post by ajcooper4 »

I've changed my mind! I've bought a 14xx from Hatton's as it will look great with my auto coach - OO gauge. I've been in touch with youchoos and asked about a sound chip for this loco - which they do supply.

However, I've just had an email sucking of teeth and oh that's very difficult and the only way is hard wiring etc. The (6 pin) socket is in the smoke box and there are two wires in the cab for the sound - so I guess you disconnect the speaker, solder both ends to connect.

Has anyone, please, fitted DCC sound to this loco?
https://www.hattons.co.uk/94511/DJ_Mode ... etail.aspx

Thanks for your help.

Mod Note: Post moved to the DCC area where it may attract more replies.
RAF96

Re: Wiring sound chip into GWR 14xx

Post by RAF96 »

Have you asked the man who designed it...
https://djmodels.co.uk/contact-us
14xx is listed on his About DJM page > past models - as an external commission.
Rob
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I have no experience of their 14xx but I do have their J94 with the decoder in the smokebox. Provided the decoder is the ‘right’ size then there are no issues fitting it in there - your challenge will be routing the two wires to a speaker and finding a suitable location.
I would suggest the smallest YouChoos sugarcube would be best and looking at the inside of the bunker, floor of the cab or the side tanks provided you can get access.
Extending the wires is straightforward - solder the extra on the speaker end of the existing wires and use heatshrink on the joints.
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
ajcooper4

Post by ajcooper4 »

Thanks for the advice I will follow this up.
Maz066

Post by Maz066 »

I have the dj 14XX. DCC concepts put sound in it for me. The recommended chip did not fit the smokebox, so he used a mini Zimo and the sugar cube in the bunker. Great little loco. Looks great trundling along with its autocoach
Peter
ajcooper4

Post by ajcooper4 »

Thanks Peter for this. I will admit to feeling a little confused. Both youchoos and digitrains can fit - and it is not a plug and play job because so little space to work with. I’m being quoted between £140 & £200 for a fitting. Digitrains say best also fit stay alives. Any further thoughts please?
Maz066

Post by Maz066 »

Unfortunately it is not cheap. I looked up my invoice, $190 for the chips and speaker and $100 for labour- roughly £150
Peter
ajcooper4

Stay Alives?

Post by ajcooper4 »

I've been researching this a bit following your advice. I'm not fitting the sound chip myself - my soldering is ok but I'm not going there! Hatton's not fitting sound chips until after Christmas. Youchoos and digitrains both offer the option but I'm confused about stay alives.

Digitrains say the are essential on this loco others say not. Who is right? Can anyone help please?
brian1951

Post by brian1951 »

Madness £200 to add sound to a 0-6-0 loco, just not worth it, and if as Digitrains say its essential to fit stay alive i would think the locos have a pick up problem.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

My DJ 14XX sails slowly across points and crossings without a stutter on DC. Can’t see why it needs stay alive.
Nurse, the screens!