Your latest acquisition

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
shroomy

Re: Your latest acquisition

Post by shroomy »

RAF you can put decoders on these as well if you wanted to dcc them
Similar motor in here
https://youtube.com/shorts/BFW6Upi40Rg
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

The quoted current rating in the blurb for this particular motor is 170mA which is a tad marginal for my R8247 accessory decoders, but running them direct via a loco decoder would be well within limits.

I had intended to use microswitches as range limit stops (Fulgurex style), but an electronics friend in Canada has suggested using current monitoring as the motor loads up at end of range, but depending upon how sensitive this cut off could be made I am not sure Hornby points mechanism would take the abuse of being loaded up like that, as these little motors are very torquey running through a 50:1 gearbox.

All these various things will be trialed on the bench before committing to the layout. I now have to source some small bell-cranks to get the points tie-bar and gearbox lead screw nut-runner to ackle together.
PBoland

Post by PBoland »

Following on from my previous post this is my ‘New acquisition’ in action. Also adds to the debate for underlay vs noise. I like the noise, however my shed is at the end of the garden so doesn’t impact on anyone.
https://youtu.be/RYsDE6C8_AE
cheshire lines

Post by cheshire lines »

A Wrenn Merchant Navy 'Clan Line' - a bequest from an elderly neighbor who sadly passed away earlier this year.

Although obviously not native to the Northwest of England, I did photograph this actual loco in 1980 when she was stabled at Northwich for a few days prior to the Rocket 150 celebrations at Rainhill.

bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Lovely loco cheshire lines - I think the real loco is the best kept loco running on the network - it always looks immaculate. Barry
Postman Prat

Post by Postman Prat »

Hi BB

Very short item in current Steam Railway magazine about the cleaning routine for Clan Line (and 45596 Bahamas. May be of interest.

PP
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Just running this Bachmann Class 108 DMU pair in on DC before fitting decoders.
675D97CD-CE5D-40D8-A273-35A754902DED.jpeg
8ED0B4F6-B855-4BBF-9C5D-5B08D8A2831C.jpeg
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Treated myself to a small bandsaw for the workshop. It’s not the best on the market but it is the cheapest and more than enough for my occasional use.
I have upgraded the fence, added a light and found an adaptor for my workshop vacuum to fit the outlet on the saw to keep things tidy. Quite surprised how much I used the bandsaw to make the upgrades.
Spent a few days carefully setting it all up and I’m now able cut slices down to 1mm with reasonable accuracy.

Image2021-01-05_03-55-40 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Bandit Mick

Post by Bandit Mick »

I’ve got a Titan electric plane - great piece of kit - only problem is the dust collection bag is far too small so I just fix a sock on the end of the outlet.
dtb

Post by dtb »

well the Bachmann Midland 1P finally turned up on christmas day in all it's sound fitted glory, just have to wait until Bachmann decide that the Unknown Warrior has been in the catalogue for too many years :lol: