The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
IanAlan

Re: The Shankly and Gdynia Railway

Post by IanAlan »

Santa brought me this, the Hornby OO Eurostar. I'm very pleased with Santa.

A really smooth operator (the Hornby Eurostar, not Santa).😁
Chops

Post by Chops »

That will get your peeps from A to Z in a hurry!
mijj

Post by mijj »

I got one and just tried it out just to prove it all works, - well you hear of all sorts happening and stock saying of sending it back.
The Eurostar has wheel spin all around the oval! I have tried throttling it back but it insists.
Is there a cure for this? Can I assume an increase in friction is needed at the wheels?
Jim,
Watch and pray, time hastes away.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Perhaps the curves are a bit to tight for it. Shouldn’t have wheel spin at a steady speed, not too fast. Are the coaches free running?
Nurse, the screens!
mijj

Post by mijj »

Walkingthedog wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:19 pm Perhaps the curves are a bit to tight for it. Shouldn’t have wheel spin at a steady speed, not too fast. Are the coaches free running?
Thanks for coming back to this WTD.
I used the curves that came with it but that is a good suggestion of checking the tightness of the other wheels. I can do that first :) .
Jim.
Watch and pray, time hastes away.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

In that case the curves shouldn’t be too tight.
Nurse, the screens!
Maria

Post by Maria »

I’ve not read all the posts on this thread, but I’m delighted that you’ve done Gdynia - my family come from this town, and I’ve ridden on this railway!

Happy memories, thank you 😊
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi Jim,
I hope that you get your Eurostar sorted. Please put a post here when you do. I've been running mine on old Triang third radius track. This does have some straight track inserted between the curves on the short sides which probably helps to keep the Eurostar going. On my small layout, I only need to put the controller to about one-third power and it's going at a good safe speed. It snakes around beautifully.

Hi Maria,
I'm glad that you are pleased to see your family's home town on my thread. 🙂 As I've mentioned previously, I want to add an extra piece of long thin baseboard, so that I can add more scenic features of Gdynia such as the railway station and more of the docks and container port. When my family visited Gdynia in 2017, we were staying in Wladyslawowo, so we used the railway to visit Gdansk and Sopot. The road traffic was too awful to use the car. It's a very pleasant journey with lots to see out of the window, including the old Lenin Shipyard, now renamed. While in Gdynia - as well as visiting my wife's aunt and uncle - we went on the sailing ship which is now a floating museum and also onto a Ferris wheel which overlooked the beach. It was a great day.

Old and New

Gdynia Docks

As I've just said, Gdynia Docks need a lot more industrial scenary.
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Here's the Eurostar again in all its glory.

Passing Shankly Gerrard Street

Speeding along the Straight

Caught in Traffic

Coming Your Way
IanAlan

Post by IanAlan »

Hi Everyone,
It's now four years since my son and I set up the train set that he had got from my sister and brother-in-law for Christmas 2016. This was when I got the model railway bug again after 40 plus years. So as to mark the 'anniversary', I thought that I would upload some 'Then and Now' photos to compare and show the progress. Notice that it was originally on the floor and used the Hornby trackmat as well as my old Triang and Airfix buildings, which I rescued from my mum's loft and shed. The platforms were made by my late father from chipboard. Of course, the photos don't show the same scenes, so they are not direct comparisons but artistic ones.

Then

Now

Then 2

Now 2

I'll upload a few more in a few days.