Embankments..

Help with layout scenics
andruec

Re: Embankments..

Post by andruec »

Yeah, the rod is probably intended to be used for some other purpose but it seemed like an easier bet than trying to use the wire cutter at an angle. That's the beauty of this hobby - so many things to learn :)

The Modroc appears to have hardened nicely. One side will be grass mat so that should be fine. The other will be a gravel/rock scenic mix and I'm going to put down some bird cage sandpaper first.

What a pity I threw away all my cage flooring when my budgie died. Mind you that was over ten years ago.. :cry:
Brian

Post by Brian »

I stopped using Polystyrene for a former a long while ago due to all the Poly. balls floating about everywhere!

I prefer to use crushed up newspaper made into balls under a former of cardboard strips (cereal packets make excellent former strips) all covered in Plaster Bandage. Then when dried, painted Burnt umber (or other colour to suit) and covered with suitable ground cover scatter PVA glue in place.

Post edited to add images
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
andruec

Post by andruec »

For my next section I will use cardboard formers but rather than newspaper (because I don't read them) I will try and use the remains of an old foam mattress. It's in the process of being thrown out anyway. I agree that polystyrene doesn't seem to be the wonder material it's made out to be.

I think I'll still use it to built up specific areas of scenery where 'an outcropping of rock' is required but where serious shaping is required it seems to be a bit of a pain.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Polystyrene is a wonder material, but not on model railways. It also can destroy the insulation on wire after a time. Makes it brittle. Another reason for avoiding it.
Nurse, the screens!
Puddles

Post by Puddles »

I used some stainless steel wire mesh formed to the shape of the embankment and screwed it to the plywood then covered with plaster cloth and a coat of brown paint then grass and ballast. I got the mesh from a local builders merchant very cheap as it had been damaged.
I took this picture when I did a test section to see how it would look.

Puddles
It does not take me long to do five minutes work.
Nostalgia is not what it used to be.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Plaster of paris bandages are one if the best things for scenery.
Nurse, the screens!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Indeed it is. :D Its also extremely messy! :o So cover everything local to the area being bandaged, as it will easily spoil other items.
andruec

Post by andruec »

I'm working on my main embankment away from the board so mess isn't a big problem. However I am wondering if for the next session I might be able to lay the bandage in its final resting place (which is across both embankments and the rail bed) then spray water onto it rather than dunking it. It's too easy to get it folded when its soaking wet. Does the stuff need manhandling or is 'getting it reasonably wet' good enough?
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Needs to be quite wet so you may end up with too much water sloshing about on the layout. I soak it in a bowl, squeeze it a bit then put it in place then smooth it down. Cover the layout in newspaper to catch any drips and wear rubber gloves.
Nurse, the screens!
Brian

Post by Brian »

andruec wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:30 pm I'm working on my main embankment away from the board so mess isn't a big problem. However I am wondering if for the next session I might be able to lay the bandage in its final resting place (which is across both embankments and the rail bed) then spray water onto it rather than dunking it. It's too easy to get it folded when its soaking wet. Does the stuff need manhandling or is 'getting it reasonably wet' good enough?
Plaster bandage needs to be soaked in a water bath for several seconds, then laid and contoured ;)