Just joined.

Just joined, say 'Hello' in here
40metreman

Just joined.

Post by 40metreman »

Hi all. Just joined up and have been having a browse round. Liking what I see and looking forward to being back in the modelling community. (Back in the day, my "Community" consisted of Cousin Mick, Uncle Graham and my mate Jack from next door). I've always dreamed of having a proper model railway, my original hope was to base one on Holbeck Shed 55A Circa 1964/7. Two of my uncle's were engine drivers based there. My dad and grandad were both platelayers. Dad was LMS, grandad LNER. So I suppose it's in my blood. However, when I looked at the stabling lists for this era, I realised I'd have to scale back my ambitions, not only because of cost but also a lack of availability of certain types/classes of locos in the marketplace. I then realised that the viaduct which carried the old central division lines to Farnley would make a good focal point. So that's where I'm at. Already managed to 'bend' one of Metcalfes gritstone four arch kits, but I used a 24" radius former and it looks a bit tight when running scale 58 ft coaches. So I'm pulling it apart, carefully, to go with a 36" former. Watch this space. Any tips, hints or advice always welcome. And I'll post progress of lack of at different times . Thanks for reading. Cheers.
Bandit Mick

Re: Just joined.

Post by Bandit Mick »

Welcome to the forum. Loads of helpful advice here and some laughs along the way.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Welcome to the forum

Consider instead of curving a viaduct making each arch section straight but with each end of the arch section slightly modified to an angle. Make a card track bed template initially then once OK use that to make the arch alterations!

Like this poorly produced drawing....

Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
IanS

Post by IanS »

Welcome to the forum. As you can see from the post above, helpful advice is always available from those with a tremendous amount of experience.
Mr Bones

Post by Mr Bones »

Welcome to the forum, friendly helpful bunch on here.

Would this be of any use to you reference the viaduct? Metcalfe Viaduct Kit Bash...
And the Lord said unto John “Come forth and receive eternal life”, but John came fifth and won a toaster!
dtb

Post by dtb »

Hello 40met............. :D
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

Welcome to the forum - a great place. BB
teedoubleudee

Post by teedoubleudee »

Hi 40 and welcome to our forum.
Most people are shocked when they find out how bad I am as an electrician
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Welcome 40m great forum.
Nurse, the screens!
Ninemil

Post by Ninemil »

Hi 40metreman.
I've only been here a few days too but agree with everyone who's commented above about it being a useful and friendly place.
I'm re-starting my hobby again so reading lots of stuff on here.
Welcome to the forum!