Bits needed (or suggestions sought..)

Biskit

Bits needed (or suggestions sought..)

Post by Biskit »

I've been doing a bit of maintenance on a few locos which I have acquired recently. One is a Triang 0-4-0 tank loco, which is missing the pickup contact from its underside. It's basically just a piece of springy wire so I'm wondering about trying to make one - is this likely to be possible and if so, can anyone suggest a suitable wire type?

Also an Airfix prairie tank, which is missing the screw that secures the body to the chassis... it somehow found a way to fly off my workbench and promptly disappeared without trace. It is a self-tapper, something like 2mm x 10mm but if anyone has the same loco and could confirm this I'd be really grateful, before I go spending several pounds on a pack of the wrong size!

Thank you in advance!

Walkingthedog

Re: Bits needed (or suggestions sought..)

Post by Walkingthedog »

Buy the proper thing. Here is a similar one. Might be OK. Search for one for your particular loco.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-TRI-A ... SwEppURmu9
Nurse, the screens!
shroomy

Post by shroomy »

I find these a god send just swing it on the floor like a metal detector
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002UO8QBO/ ... D5KCHAN3AE
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

I have a similar thing. I usually find if I drop something today I find what I dropped last week.
Nurse, the screens!
Biskit

Post by Biskit »

Thanks for the pointers to that pickup on Ebay - I had tried searching (though evidently not used the right search term) and all I'd come up with were people selling full underframe assemblies for these types of locos, for prices exceeding what I believe the entire model to be worth... however for a couple of quid these replacements are worth a go.

As for the lost screw, unfortunately my work area is in a loft space above a garage, and the screw managed to fall down into the garage itself (which is unfortunately not tidy!) so I think finding it is genuinely a lost cause. Thankfully the body of the loco in question is pretty tight fitting so isn't at risk of falling off or being a problem in use for the time being, providing I'm careful with it. I'm sure I'll come across something suitable eventually.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

There are often 'I've searched everywhere' posts and when I look I usually find what isn’t there straight away. This time I searched for Triang Pickups. Perhaps I should get out more. :)
Nurse, the screens!