Your latest acquisition

A place to chat about non railway items. Please observe the forum rules!
RAF96

Re: Your latest acquisition

Post by RAF96 »

I can never understand why folk have all the variants of a particular loco,e.g.every version of Scotty ?, as you can only ever have one on track at a time. All locos in a fleet - yes I can see why Barry has every brit and others have all the MNs, etc.

i have City of Edinburgh in its original black streamlined form and I painted up a rebuilt Princess to represent the CoE in its later black form. Mine has rhe parallel boiler whereas the original rebuilt had the chamfered boiler but I wasn’t that fussed, however looking at the history my loco had its boiler changed later on to the one I have so I can claim accuracy - not that anyone else will ever see it to make such judgement.
darkscot

Post by darkscot »

RAF96 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:15 pm I can never understand why folk have all the variants of a particular loco,e.g.every version of Scotty ?
I have some sympathy with that argument as I have only three 'active' locos, with another two 'reserves'. However, I think that is one of the things about the hobby. For some people the layout the main purpose, but for others the want to collect locos and the layout is just somewhere to show them off.
Modelling post war LMS. DCC control via Roco z21 & multiMAUS
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

RAF96 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:15 pm I can never understand why folk have all the variants of a particular loco,e.g.every version of Scotty ?, as you can only ever have one on track at a time. All locos in a fleet - yes I can see why Barry has every brit and others have all the MNs, etc.
In my case it's "nearly" all the MN's and others have every Brit. I would add this only happened because 1. I like Merchant Navy Class loco's and 2. I was a collector long before I had a layout. When working, having Beatties which then became ModelZone's flagship store five minutes from my office, it was very easy for the collection to grow - they had some incredible "sales". :)
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

I was looking for a drill stand for my Dremel last week and stumbled on a mini pillar drill on Amazon go about £60. It’s only around 16” tall so doesn’t take up much space in the workshop. Then in a wild moment during a bout of insomnia it was ordered along with a milling bench. I won’t be machining any parts for rocket engines any time soon but I’m sure I’ll find a use for it.
And it’s green. :D

Image2021-02-01_02-58-44 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
bulleidboy

Post by bulleidboy »

I think you might soon need a bigger bench :D
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

And an extension on your shed. R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Hound Dog

Post by Hound Dog »

Going to need a bigger business card - “Steve Mumford - Painting, Weathering and General Engineering Services”
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Hound Dog wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:09 pm Going to need a bigger business card - “Steve Mumford - Painting, Weathering and General Engineering Services”
Or.....’Jack of all trades, master of none.’ ;)
IanS

Post by IanS »

Given the quality of the painting, 'Jack of all trades, master of some!'
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Hound Dog wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:09 pm Going to need a bigger business card - “Steve Mumford - Painting, Weathering and General Engineering Services”
On the ‘general engineering’ side, I was slightly irritated by the lack of a stop to lock the height of the drill. Not really surprising as it is just a drill press not a true milking machine.

I had a little ponder and realised that the rotating shaft fits in a housing that doesn’t rotate but moves up and down with the handle. After dismantling the drill, I drilled and tapped a hole on the left hand side of the drill casing, then fitted a threaded bolt that conveniently had a T shaped head. Turning this locks the height while still allowing the shaft to turn. Also added a small spring to stop the bolt shaking loose when not tightened.

Also made a box to hold the various bits for the mill in one place.

Going to have a lie down now. :D

Image2021-02-02_01-53-26 by Steve Mumford, on Flickr