Four Bridges

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
Brian

Re: Four Bridges

Post by Brian »

The new twin Dapol semaphore signals are totally different to the older single arm type. The twin ones use two servo motors to operate the signal arms and therefore need the 'electronics' contained in the box to make them work.

They are supplied complete with two momentary (On)-Off-(On) toggle switches these connect to the appropriate signals Brown, Yellow and Orange wires with the Yellow wire to the switches middle or Common tab. 9 to 15 volts DC OR 9 to 15 volts AC is connected to the boxes red and black wires. If using DC ensure positive is on the red wire. You adjust the travel of the servo/signal arm by the appropriate screw adjusters.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
andy757

Post by andy757 »

Yes I understand this Brian. I am baffled though as to what to do with the 3rd wire coming off that box to the switch. My idea was to cut the 3 wires and connect at the panel which has it's own switches but the panel switches only have 2 terminals.

I guess I could cut off the pre-wired switch and connect new wires and run them to new switches with 3 terminals. Bit of a faff but I don't plan on having too many of these double signals.
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

What do the instructions say?
andy757

Post by andy757 »

Instructions refer to a 3 tab switch so I guess there is no other choice. I can change a switch over at the panel for these twin signals but I wanted to share my confusion in case I was missing something.

I'll cut the 3 wires to the pre-wired switch, extend them round to the panel, and reconnect.

Thanks Brian & Rog as always.
Brian

Post by Brian »

andy757 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:53 pm Yes I understand this Brian. I am baffled though as to what to do with the 3rd wire coming off that box to the switch. My idea was to cut the 3 wires and connect at the panel which has it's own switches but the panel switches only have 2 terminals.

I guess I could cut off the pre-wired switch and connect new wires and run them to new switches with 3 terminals. Bit of a faff but I don't plan on having too many of these double signals.
3 wires have to be used... Common yellow wire is to the switches middle tab and the other two wires go to the switches outer tabs. Each switch has three tabs. (Much like a solenoid point motor switch is wired!)

Dapol wiring sheet below

Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
andy757

Post by andy757 »

I have removed 2 x 2 tab switches from the panel and replaced them with the original (3 tab) ones that come with the signals. I will then make up a cable and connector set and run from each switch to each terminal on the signal control box underneath the board. I wired it up on the workbench first and no problems.

One issue I encountered over the weekend was with the latest order of plug in connector blocks from https://www.rapidonline.com

I bought a fairly large quantity of these https://www.rapidonline.com/camdenboss- ... 0a-21-2497 so as to replenish stocks and to use with the signal installation. Problem though. None of them actually plug in together unless tapped in with a small hammer. Usually they just snap together no problem. I have given Rapid some feedback via their website as I suspect a fault batch was delivered to them.
andy757

Post by andy757 »

Thank you Brian. I have installed all signals now and all work fine. I have pre-ordered one more, http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/ ... right-hand and will be delivered as and when it is available.
andy757

Post by andy757 »

Morning all, hope this finds you safe and well.

I've just returned from a month in Australia so not much has been done on the layout this year so far. Now that we are confined to our homes there will be more time available in the coming weeks/months but those little jobs around the house will keep me busy. Mowing the lawns, preparing the raised vegetable beds, re-working the design of the pond so as to re-home the ducks and geese, oh and build an aviary !!

I work from home and am fairly busy preparing quotes and sending out information in readiness for when my industry opens up again.

That said, I will spend time on the layout, get tracks cleaned, hoovered etc and carry on where I left off.

Not much of an update, but it is what it is.
andy757

Post by andy757 »