Gaugemaster point motors.

sandy

Gaugemaster point motors.

Post by sandy »

I was looking at Gaugemaster point motors with view to buying some for my new layout. In the past I have used Peco which seemed work fine with 12v supply.
Reading about Gaugemaster motors it said use Capasitor dicharge unit. Never had one of those before.
Do I have one for each point motor, or one for all the points.
Or will the motors work without the Cap/ unit but not quite as well.
Sandy
Walkingthedog

Re: Gaugemaster point motors.

Post by Walkingthedog »

One CDU operates all the point motors.
Nurse, the screens!
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

A CDU should always be fitted when using solenoid motors to ensure a good ‘punch’ of power to trigger them - especially if two motors fire at the same time for a crossover. A PM used on just 12v dc may not always fire.
You’ll only need one for the whole layout Sandy but make sure you have a power supply that is suited to it - 16-24v ac
"Not very stable, but incredibly versatile." ;)
Brian

Post by Brian »

CDU cost from around £5 up. Plenty on eBay They are well worth the investment. Examples... https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... _PrefLoc=1

12 volts DC is boarding on being to low a voltage for Seeps, especially Seep PM1 - PM4 range which are power hungry solenoids. As suggested, ideally use 16v AC or 19 to 22v DC :D
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
sandy

Post by sandy »

Thank you all for the info. Another member on here contacted me and offered some Gaugemaster PMs and a CDU for very good price and thanks for that. So all sorted now. Thanks every one. :D
Sandy
Nine Elms

Post by Nine Elms »

Brian; How do you which one to buy or they all the same?

On the matter of point motors, where have all the surface mounted ones gone, can't find then anywhere, or am I not looking in the right place?

John
Brian

Post by Brian »

Nine Elms wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:43 pm Brian; How do you which one to buy or they all the same?

On the matter of point motors, where have all the surface mounted ones gone, can't find then anywhere, or am I not looking in the right place?

John
Hi
If you mean Seep PM1, PM2 or PM4 range, (there is no PM3!) then usually the PM1 is the item used most, as this has a somewhat crude built in change-over set of contacts which are useful for frog polarity switching on Electrofrog points or panel LED indications or as a point controlled signal aspect control etc
The PM2 is identical, but doesn't have the built in change-over switch.
The PM4 again is identical in size to the other two but does has a built in change over switch. However it has a mechanical latching system of the drive pin ideal for use on points that have lost their over centre spring.

The others produced by Gaugemaster under their Seep branding is the PM10 which is more like a Hornby/Peco PL10 motor or the PM10D which has a built in DCC decoder. Then there is the PM20 which is the Gaugemaster surface mounting solenoid motor Also sold as the PM20D with a digital DCC decoder.
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Nine Elms

Post by Nine Elms »

Thank you for your replies. Still troubled about the various option for CDUs on Ebay.

John
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

Just buy the one Brian recommended..
Nurse, the screens!