Diesels at Crown Point.

Dedicated area to show the community your model railway projects.
cheshire lines

Re: Diesels at Crown Point.

Post by cheshire lines »

The freight train looks good threading it's way round the curves.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Hi cheshire lines. The real railway line to Wetherby from Leeds did not have many straight bits. :) At the timeframe of the layout, the line was not only a secondary route, but also becoming overgrown with weeds and wildflowers etc.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are the world
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Quintessentially British, the sort of look I am reaching for. Many fond memories of my youth in England, sure much has changed, sigh.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Chops wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:44 am Quintessentially British, the sort of look I am reaching for. Many fond memories of my youth in England, sure much has changed, sigh.
Hi Chops. It's just a case of remembering what you see and not what you thought you saw.
Follow someone in or out of a store and invariably they stop at the door. Taking the trolley of groceries to the car. then the fumbling for the car keys. A fence that has broken in the wind. Some guttering broken.

Where are the people going? What are they looking at? A car with the bonnet up. Is it broken down or is the owner servicing it? A Policeman talking to a lorry driver. Is he booking him for some misdemeanor, or is the driver asking the way to some destination? A million things going on. Things going on that make little scenes into the whole.

The train journey to Perth. It is a secondary route and nature is beginning to take over. Branches of trees 'thwacking' the side of the carriage. Long grass and wild flowers. Fifty shades of green.

The aftermath of rainfall. Puddles, wet paths, dark clouds. A gale is blowing. Branches on the road. Has a tree fallen? Has 'Jack Frost' been? Flat roofs are white. a breakdown van at a car that will not start. It is not always a sunny, Summers day.

See what you see and not what you thought you saw.

Glencairn
Chops

Post by Chops »

Well said. I remember trees, wonderful trains, gated crossings, beautiful waterways, expansive beaches, rolling meadows and
trimmed hedges creating a quilt of fields. In Wales, sheep with tails two feet long, inns of ancient wood and plaster, calm
and unhurried. I recall recovering from jet lag in a place, I think it was called the "Red Lion," (probably a thousand British places
using that appellation) and in the room was a section of plexiglass revealing old, old, old plaster beneath with an ancient stencil in red, of the
classic Royal Lion emblem. History: history so close, everywhere, you could feel it, see it, breath it. Most of all the aroma of pastry
and diesel fumes as the towering red double decker buses roamed the cobblestoned avenues. Indelible. And wondrous.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Spending time running trains (when I can). Class 47 47299 Ariadne with the daily northbound train of containers.
IMG_5164.JPG
IMG_5165.JPG
IMG_5166.JPG

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

New container wagons have arrived from https://www.medwayqueen.co.uk/
IMG_5171.JPG
With other G.S.N.Co wagons
IMG_5172.JPG
'In service' with other Medway Queen P.S. wagons passing Crown Point Yard.
IMG_5173.JPG
Glencairn
Chops

Post by Chops »

Looks great. Love the new General Steam Navigation wagons!
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Thanks, Chops. My other main hobby is ships and shipping and am a supporter of Medway Queen Preservation Society. To increase funds every year they have special railway wagons made by Dapol. Sometimes they 'join forces with 35011 General Steam Navigation Locomotive Restoration Society and have models they both can sell. (Cuts down production costs as more are made.)

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Time for a little 'freshening up'.

In real life the line became a secondary route and became overgrown before actually closing. Like most places, once the line has gone the villages it served have grown. With modellers licence the line has survived and traffic is picking up.

The mist is clearing as a Class 121 approaches on its way to Leeds Central.
IMG_5190.JPG
Glencairn