Historic building restoration

A place to show what you are building, altering, kit bashing etc.
Malcolm 0-6-0

Re: Historic building restoration

Post by Malcolm 0-6-0 »

Walkingthedog wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:58 am I solved that problem by not mixing different types of building. All of mine are card and structures such a water tanks are plastic.

I always think the gap between bricks on plastic sheets are too deep.
Yes that is a valid point. However it does certainly create a better surface for weathering etc. something that card doesn't. As for mixing of structural methods I agree that the finer detail that scratchbuilding from plastic or wood will quickly show up the deficiencies of printed card, just as a scratchbuilt card structure will also do.

In any case as I originally posted the jury is still out on how I will tackle the row (s) of terraces I need to build. I have also built a Metcalfe corner shop as well as their factory. The factory turned out OK as a build of the kit (these kits from an experienced modeler's viewpoint are no brainers) - unfortunately the achievable standard didn't approach that which I can obtain using simple scratch building, so it was removed and I'll probably sell it off. It was a combination of factors - printing process, clumsy design and the nagging uniformity of one size fits all detailing offered.

The corner shop was actually a better kit in terms of its depiction of what it represented however it also was sadly let down by the same basic faults of the factory. So much so that I completely scrapped the idea of a follow up corner pub from the same source and spent a lot of time scratchbuilding the pub I wanted from better materials, followed by planning the painting sequence of the brick surface so that the final weathering washes bought out the detail. Whether I can resurrect the corner shop by reroofing it as I did with the coal merchant's hut is something I'm considering. The jury is out on that as well.

One thing that does really stand out with the card kits is the problem of corners. Time after time we see otherwise well thought out electrically and operationally complex layouts with buildings that have those exposed cardboard corners. Now that is an easy fix - simply use commonly available fine grain poly fillers, normally used by carpenters and DIY people. This will bond with the card and cures quickly. Then a quick rub down with fine sand paper followed by an equally quick dry brushing with the appropriate colour using acrylic paint will fix it. Simply put, colouring the obvious step at the corner doesn't because the ugly non-prototypical step remains. One wonders in this day of computer controlled cutting methods if the cut at the corner on the external surface could be replaced by a double chamfered cut on the interior side which would replace that ugly step which requires a quite visible remedy in card which is a far less forgiving medium than plastic or wood.

Anyway we all differ as modelers so perhaps I am being overly critical. I had hoped that use of these kits would speed up the process of creating the landscape but their fundamental problems rule that out.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Malcom, I think the issue with the card kits is they are still using the same cutting press and designs as they have always done, while you could manufacture them in a better way now the cost of re tooling would never be recovered. The kits are remarkably cheap and quick something that scratch building cant compete with on a building for building case (obviously a lot of sheets will make more than one building as will the paints)

for me the biggest draw back from the kits is that there is such a limited range so every layout you see has the same factory etc

it would be an interesting study, build the same building from a kit as it comes, build the kit and embellish it, scratch build (the same building)

and then compare the time, costs and most importantly the overall result.
Malcolm 0-6-0

Post by Malcolm 0-6-0 »

Chris wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:48 am Malcom, I think the issue with the card kits is they are still using the same cutting press and designs as they have always done, while you could manufacture them in a better way now the cost of re tooling would never be recovered. The kits are remarkably cheap and quick something that scratch building cant compete with on a building for building case (obviously a lot of sheets will make more than one building as will the paints)

for me the biggest draw back from the kits is that there is such a limited range so every layout you see has the same factory etc

it would be an interesting study, build the same building from a kit as it comes, build the kit and embellish it, scratch build (the same building)

and then compare the time, costs and most importantly the overall result.
Interesting points Chris. I particularly agree re the continued use of older tooling etc. and also regarding the problem of the uniformity that results across so many layouts. On the positive side I successfully deroofed the Metcalfe corner shop I had built and beginning today I will create a new roof using styrene slate sheets, plus redoing the guttering etc. The experimental rebuilding of the coal office encouraged me. For me it isn't so much the time but I really dislike repetitive modeling as occurs if you are building a couple of rows of terrace houses and modifying the quick to assemble Metcalfe kits with proper detailing and attention to the omnipresent seams will I hope overcome it. At least with the brickwork the all too visible matrix created by the printing process is far less apparent than with the roofs they provide. I'll post pics once I've finished. It will be a break from the several factories I have been scratchbuilding.
Davreb05

Post by Davreb05 »

I like the card kits, as I find them easy to build.
In my opinion some of the relief on plastic sheets is to much, the joints on brickwork can scale out to deep.
1mm depth would scale up to 3 inch which is almost the depth of a real brick.
David
The Sligo Rover

Post by The Sligo Rover »

What a fussy lot some of you are.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

You reckon. On some forums they have 20 page discussions about the texture of the mortar.

It’s really a matter of pride to make things look as good as you want them to be.
Nurse, the screens!
Rog (RJ)

Post by Rog (RJ) »

It's the small details that make a big difference.
Malcolm 0-6-0

Post by Malcolm 0-6-0 »

The Sligo Rover wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:54 am What a fussy lot some of you are.
Granted there are some who see modeling as a blood sport but each to their own is my philosophy. However if I can fix a problem with a kit that I want to build then I will. My layout is a mix - some things are kits and some are scratch builds and some are combinations of both. But why pay large sums of money for things that if one has the skill one can build oneself. I admit to no great skills in card, plastic is my medium, but if my skills acquired from well over 60 years of modelling (starting when Airfix first appeared) can be used enhance something in a medium I'm not that skilled in then why not. It's basically just a hobby even if the fox may have a different view :D