My first Go

Help with designing your track work
GaryH

Re: My first Go

Post by GaryH »

Hi Chops I did make a N Gauge layout many moons ago and when planning this one knew I wanted a Viaduct and that was it, lots of searching the net for ideas (Chadwick youtube Chanel for the Viaduct thanks Charlie) I still have no clue about Train running and am struggling to make a plan work, latest one attached, I would like back wall to be scenic and front to have station and Sidings with a town/village down one side and hill covering top corner on the other as for baseboards Wicks was doing a deal on CLS 2.4M and a then found 9mm ply at a good price now its down the 9mm is a bit thin for screwing points to may have to cut screws if they show through.

Gary

RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Hi Gary, your loop crossovers all go in one direction which means reversing your trains to change loops.

You may also find your track pins coming through 9mm board if you use them.

R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

Hi Roger I am going to pin boards down but thought after ballasting I would remove pins ? I can see what you mean about cross overs all going one direction and the siding at the station is a worry not sure where the best place to put cross over as if at other end of station means going all the way around to cross over (Hope that's right) any help apricated

Gary
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Good idea with the pins. Others on here only tap the pin in enough to hold the track and then remove them after ballasting. Wish I’d thought of that, but anyway.

For the crossover issue can you swap any of them? Perhaps the one far right?

Is the yellow point far left between the purple and orange points a slip of any sort or a straightforward diamond crossing?

R-
Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts.
Walkingthedog

Post by Walkingthedog »

It does of course depend on which pins you use. Some are shorter than others. Come to that some are longer than others.
Nurse, the screens!
IanS

Post by IanS »

I like screws, 6mm, 8mm and 10mm depending on location. They're far easier to remove than pins and as long as you don't over-tighten them are much better, in my opinion.
GaryH

Post by GaryH »

RogerB wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:35 pm Good idea with the pins. Others on here only tap the pin in enough to hold the track and then remove them after ballasting. Wish I’d thought of that, but anyway.

For the crossover issue can you swap any of them? Perhaps the one far right?

Is the yellow point far left between the purple and orange points a slip of any sort or a straightforward diamond crossing?

R-
Hi Roger its a diamond crossing as it was pointed out we drive on the left so I didn't want trains going wrong way on to track